1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Hard drive failed, now works. What should I do?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Sharker, Jan 13, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Sharker

Sharker Thread Starter

Hi all.

Recently one of my hard drives failed :(, I tried a different SATA port but it did not help. I disconnected it as it was making the system lock up for minutes at a time. About a week later I plugged it in again replugged the power connector and, lo and behold, it works perfectly :D. I got it about a month ago so it is still on warranty, but it's working now. What should I do? I don't want to have it fail again and this time lose my data for good. Is this likely?

Any advice would be appreciated.

2. bigbear

bigbear

Go to the makers website, download and run their diagnostic software on the drive, it should tell you if the drive is bad

3. Tumbleweed36

Tumbleweed36

The Sata drives are notorious for coming loose at the data cable and then making contact momentarily and then losing the connection. For a Sata drive, you might want (especially as you descibe it) to take a cable tie and tie the ribbon cable to something secure so it can't move around.

Oh, I also agree with running the drive diagnostic on this one.

4. matt.choules

matt.choules

+3

Diagnostic, back-up and return if the diagnosis says there are any problems.

5. Sharker

Sharker Thread Starter

Hello all, thanks for your advice.

I have tried the diagnostic utility: Seatools for Windows and it doesn't find any fault with the drive. It's been working for about a week now. What is your opinion? Is it likely to fail again or shall I assume it was a loose connection and hold the cable steady with a cable tie?

(It is a Maxtor drive, 160GB, SATA, I'm using WinXP Pro.)

6. Tumbleweed36

Tumbleweed36

Always keep a back up of your data and then use it. I do use cable ties on all mine and especially those maxtor drives, so I recommend that. It is called, been there and done that one, so take precautions.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/671430

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice