1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

hard drive failed test

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by bigpdb, Oct 14, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. bigpdb

bigpdb Thread Starter

my dell vostro 3550 64 bit i5 windows 7. has just done a self test and come back saying hard drive critical

hard drive
    model WDC WD3200BEKT-75PVMTO
    SIZE 298.1GB
    MARKETED SIZE 320GB
    CACHE SIZE 16MB
    ROTATION SPEED 7200RPM
    STOREAGE 227.03 FREE OF 283.34GB

THE FAILED TESTS WERE
    SMART SHORT SELF TEST WD16-F7B
    TARGETED READ TEST WHD20-NPC

do i have to take to repair shop for new hard drive or is there anything i can do/try 1st. it is out of warranty and approx 3-4 years old

cheers peter

2. SUEOHIO

SUEOHIO

First Name:
    SUE
    If its the hard drive thats failed they cant be fixed. the drive has to be replaced.if its a laptop you can just buy a replacement and do it yourself if you know how. laptop hard drives for me at least are very easy to do.im guessing that you will need a SATA drive for it.

3. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

That drive has a 5yr warranty. You can try getting an RMA from WD. Go to the WD site an input the serial # The worst thing that could happen is that they would say no.

Next you are going to need the recovery disk to reinstall the os. If you did not make the recovery disk, you can order it from dell however it is not free.

4. captainron276

captainron276

First Name:
    Ron
  5. bigpdb

bigpdb Thread Starter

many thanks to you all. I have opened a case with WD. I will let you know the outcome.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1110684

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice