1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Hard Drive Failed

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by rking7247, Jul 18, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. rking7247

rking7247 Thread Starter

I Have a Western Digital 20 GB Hard Drive that when i start up system it says primary hard drive failed. how can i get the info that is in hard drive and transfer to another drive i have been told that i can change the logic board will this work. help[/ :( U]

2. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Let's move you over to Hardware where you'll get more exposure for this issue.

While you can sometimes change the logic board, you need an EXACT match, that's not always that easy to find. In addition, it may not be the logic board, but rather the HDA, which is not going to be helped by swapping the logic.

3. rking7247

rking7247 Thread Starter

I have a 20 GB Western Digital Hard Drive that has failed could i take the disk out and put it into a hard drive that works to recover info that i need.

4. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

Hi and welcome. This isn't a tip or trick, so I've moved you to hardware for better assistance.

I'm assuming you don't mean that you want to remove the 'disk' from inside the hard drive, correct?

5. ~Candy~

Argh, it looks like we have two threads. I just moved another here.

Let me do a merge.

6. ~Candy~

Thanks for the private message. It's best to post to the thread.

Try placing it in a zip lock baggie, put it in the freezer for an hour or so, then slave it to another system. You may have enough time to get the data off.

7. qldit

qldit

G'day rking7247, is the drive being detected in the BIOS?
    I seem to think it may not.
    Does the drive rattle away when the machine is first switched on? (as it normally would or should)
    I seem to think it may not.
    If this is the case it is likely that the message is actually very real and you have either a mechanical or electrical failure in the drive.
    As has been mentioned, chilling the thing may assist or saying a computer prayer over it may help, (e.g. work you rotten dog thing!!) when all else fails and you have confirmed the thing is not going to give up it's information the path divides, path A is to seek professional help for recovering the files at great cost, path B is belting the crap out of the thing and teaching it who is master!! then trying it again. This often works, but have some means of removing the info without relying on a second try.
    Like remove the drive from the machine, give it a few soft pats with a hammer, reinstall it and have another drive set as slave ready to copy to.
    Cheers, qldit.

8. rking7247

rking7247 Thread Starter

when you turn it on it makes a lot of clicking noises the platter does spin and i almost got it to start but it said system 32 file could not be found

9. ~Candy~

You're dead in the water.

Next time, be sure you back up anything important.

10. qldit

qldit

G'day again, well that really sounds quite grim, there is a long shot which may just help you, but it involves a bit of work.
    If you can obtain "simply Mepis" (this is a live linux operating system) or find it on the net, it is a free download, some 500 megs or so, download it and burn it to a CD as an ISO as to produce a bootable CD.
    Set your machine to boot from CD and you will (after a bit of bumbling) end up with a desktop similar to windows. (but single clicking only)
    This particular system only uses your CDROM and RAM to operate, it can usually see your drive provided the drive is not too badly gone.
    Either way it is a good exercise for you and you will be amazed at what this program can do if you get that far. On the net it's use can only be described as "wow"!
    If you are able to see your hard-drive it will be apparent on the desktop and any files you wish to recover may be control+drag and dropped to a flashdrive or other media.
    Be careful with mouse clicks. user name is "root" password is "root" (no commas)

That is one option, of course often when these kinds of problems occur the hard drive may appear occasionally in a boot screen, so persistance and repeated tries often produces an operation.
    There is another program on the net, (shareware) called "HDD Regenerator" by Dmitriy Primochenko you will find it quite easily, if you download it, it has the ability to fix limited hard drive problems and may be worth giving a try. You may have to research the thing a bit to obtain and make a bootable start disk with it. It gives a display and if a hard drive can be seen it will do something to try to help. I am amazed at it's ability. I have been playing with it for a few weeks now it really is a great toy.
    I have actually saved a really important drive data set with it.
    I must now return to my padded cell, have a nice day!
    Cheers, qldit.

11. loserOlimbs

loserOlimbs

have you tried to use the system repair from the install CD, if it just can't find the system 32 you may be able to use the copy command yet and get it running for at least a little while, if it is a Seagate drive you should at least have a good chance you can't kill those things(hardly). You said the platters do spin? Sounds worth a try.

12. qldit

qldit

Good Evening all, yes loserOlimbs that is what I was thinking, it would seem that the MBR may have a problem with a different kind of message from time to time, that is why I thought the HDD program might help, maybe that first cylinder surface area.
    Either way "nothing ventured nothing gained" and I never give up until smoke comes out of these things!! (or other funny little bits!)
    Cheers, chaps.

13. drewgraham

drewgraham

Heartening as loserOlimbs and qldit replies are, I'm afraid you're shafted.

If it clicks, you're ****ed. It's one of those golden rules of life, like taxes, death and always, always backup.

If what you've got on there is priceless, then there is something you can do.

1) Very, very, very gently take the drive out and, for god's sake, stop turning it on.
    2) Find a data recovery company
    3) Pay them thousands of notes to get the data back for you.

Sorry.

14. qldit

qldit

G'day Drewgraham
    It seems to me to be a somewhat broad statement made regarding the problem symptoms described, to be able to say simply that nothing could be done or to evoke the Lord.
    It might be pertinent to ask for the technical reasoning behind this opinion bearing in mind the actual messages displayed.
    Do not worry about entering into a purely technical area using the most technical terminology, I do feel that there is a good chance that I will be able to stay with you to any degree you might enter upon.

From my extensive experience I have always found it is best to determine any problem absolutely before admitting it is not fixable, and even then the correct term is simply to admit it is beyond your scope of abilities.

When any intermittent problem symptom is apparent, it is always the last thing tried that uncovers the actual problem, most often things are never as they would seem to be.
    I do feel that negative or unfounded statements are never helpful and in fact detract from a policy of defect analysis and determination.

To this end I have always found that negative unfounded statements are usually made by non-achievers or persons of poor intellect.

Cheers, qldit.

15. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/382277

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice