Hard Drive failing to work

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Michael1910

I have a SSD and a HD inside my computer. At the moment, only the SSD and Disk Drive will show up on 'my computer' and I can't get the HD to work and store data on it. I have tried priotising the boot to the HD and have checked the properties of the HD which informs me that it is 'working properly'. The computer recognises the HD to be connected but I just can seems to get the HD to show up on 'my computer' and work. I have filled up my SSD and now cannot store anything else on my computer. Someone please tell me how to fix this issue so I can get my HD working.

Did you use some migration tool to move to the SSD from the hard disk drive when you installed it?

managed

Allan
He said it's not in My Computer but it is 'working properly' which I presume means it shows in Device Manager, if so Disk Management has not been mentioned.

I'm wondering if both drives have the same Disk Signature if cloning was done, that could be the problem :-

https://neosmart.net/wiki/disk-signature-collision/

Yes, you are probably correct; but, the fix is to delete the partitions on the original disk so he can create new ones that don't have a collision problem.

When I bump into this on a client's PC, the first thing I do is check the health of the drive (almost undoubtedly not a problem on an SSD) and then run CCleaner to dump the detritus off the storage device. (Note: Only CCleaner version 5.33 had malware and I have never used that one). In one case, CCleaner duped 380+ gigabytes off an infected PC after the infection was clobbered!

managed

Allan
Disk Management should show one of the disks as 'offline' if there is a collision, if so deleting the partitions isn't enough, my link in post #5 shows ways to fix it.

380GB was recovered ? That must be some sort of record !

The malware on his PC had created a hidden user account which was using his PC to host about a gazillion files. Once I evicted it, CCleaner merrily dumped all of what it had been hosting and, yep, I've never had another PC come close!

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online