1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Hard Drive Fails on Format

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by BManhard, Jun 30, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. BManhard

BManhard Thread Starter

I have a 120gig Western Digital Hard drive that I removed from my previous computer to use in my new computer as a second hard drive. The hard drive I have installed currently is a Maxtor SATA 250gig. The western digital is an IDE hard drive that is plugged in on the master part of its own seperate IDE cord. Everything boots up just fine, the problem begins when I double click on the new drive under my computer it informs me it needs to be formated, which I can attempt to do. I begin the formatting and after about 2 minutes it tells me that windows is unable to complete the operation, and then the hard drive fades from my computer and won't show up unless I reboot the system.

Any help would be appreciated.

2. Mosquito555

Mosquito555

Sorry but I'm a little confused by your description...Your old Western Digital is a SATA or PATA/IDE? You say it's serial ATA but there are no master/slave in SATA setups... In any case try checking the connections of the cable on the drive and on the motherboard. Also try changing the cable as the one you use may be worn out/faulty.

3. Elvandil

Elvandil

Use Disk Management to remove all partitions, and create new ones before formatting.

4. BManhard

BManhard Thread Starter

Edited, I just mistyped what I meant.

5. BManhard

BManhard Thread Starter

Just did as you asked, and it ended up coming up with an error after about three minutes, and did not complete.

I notice now that if I listen close I can hear a noise coming from the case. It sounds a click followed by a powering down and then powering back up again. I am unsure if I have the jumpers set up properly if that would have anything to do with it.

6. Mosquito555

Mosquito555

How old is your machine? And what is the wattage of your power supply unit? As the IDE drive is set as a master and it is on the master position of the cable it seems allright. The sata connections do not require jumpers.

You could try connecting only your 120gb hdd and trying to format from the XP cd...And see what happens.

OK your machine is great, just seen your profile. What about the PSU?

7. BManhard

BManhard Thread Starter

The power supply is an enermax ATX 12v it really should be above and beyond what is required for it.

8. Mosquito555

Mosquito555

I believe what you say however even a great PSU but with low wattage output may fail if a lot of devices are connected to it...

If your IDE hard drive alone can be formatted using the XP cd this would indicate PSU insufficiensy or connection/controller conflict.

If you can't format it neither that way the disk may be damaged, the cables can be damaged or something is not connected/set up right.

As long as your old drive was working with no problems with your old PC I can't think anything else than the above. That clicking sound you mentioned made me ask about your PSU again.

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/590397

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice