1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Hard Drive Failure, Asks me if I want to Format

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Krelian, Jan 20, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Krelian

Krelian Thread Starter

Hey guys, I'm having a problem with my hard drive. I have a 250 GB Maxtor hard drive that I use for backing up files. One day it just ceased to let me into the drive itself, and pops up with a dialogue asking if I want to format it. The hard drive is reported in my BIOS to be there but I just can't access it. Is it possible all the data on it somehow got corrupted or is my disk damaged? I haven't tried formatting yet because a lot of really important stuff is on the drive itself. At first it was doing it to random folders on the drive, asking me to format (the folder I guess, it was really odd) whenever I clicked to open. Eventually the whole drive became inaccessible.

I've tried formatting and going into my desktop and taking the hard drive out and cleaning it of dust and reattaching it without any success. I always have up to date antivirus software so I don't think it was a virus, especially since I don't come into contact with many places you normally get them. If anyone can help me with my situation I'd much appreciate some advice or helpful information. My rig is in my sig if you need that. Thanks.

2. Krelian

Krelian Thread Starter

3. bigbear

bigbear

4. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

You said this is a backup drive, right? Don't you have the original copy of the data? If this is your only copy, it's not a "backup" drive. :)

I'd download the Maxtor disk diagnostics, Maxtor PowerMax 4.23 Bootable CD .ISO image file and run a complete surface scan on the disk to start.

5. Krelian

Krelian Thread Starter

Trying what you both said now.

Technically it's not a backup drive, but more of a drive I store things on when I need to format the drive I have my OS installed on. Most of the stuff that was on it I had been meaning to back up to DVD but never got around to it :(. It's a real pain in the *** because a lot of my own personal music (as in music I've created), documents, and art was on it.

6. Krelian

Krelian Thread Starter

Ok right off the bat I got this error message with pc inspector, but I'm scanning now.

Attached Files:

7. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

That's telling you that the first sector on the disk was corrupted. Since the partition table appears to have been trashed, that's not surprising.

8. Krelian

Krelian Thread Starter

No go on the recovery software, going to burn the ISO and try it and see what it tells me next.

9. Krelian

Krelian Thread Starter

Ok I did a full scan and the test failed and it's telling me my hard drive is failing.

10. bigbear

bigbear

OK does not sound good, I posted PC Inspector because it was freeware.
    There is better recovery software but you will have to buy it.
    What they tend to do is let you download the software and it will tell you if it can recover the data but wont recover until you have purchased it first.
    This one has been recommended but I have never tried it myself, I am sure others will recommend alternate sites
    http://www.oo-software.com/en/products/oodiskrecovery/

11. Krelian

Krelian Thread Starter

Hmm... that site quickly turns to another language when I try to download the software, and everytime I try to change it to english it stays in dutch.

12. Rich-M

Rich-M

Try this and it may or may not work. Stick the drive in a Ziplok bag in the freezer for 4 hours. Then plug it in and boot up and if you can read it copy fast...works for about 1/2 hour if at all.

13. bigbear

bigbear

Try this link
    http://www.oo-software.com/home/en/download/

14. Krelian

Krelian Thread Starter

The freezer?! That's a new one on me.

15. Krelian

Krelian Thread Starter

Ok, I tried formating and my disk is empty and I can access it. I downloaded a shareware file recovery tool to search for files that were formatted and it founds LOADS of my stuff. The only problem is that it's nearly 60 bucks to unlock the program to recover the files. Anybody know of a good freeware data recovery software that will work with formatted media that I can use?

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/536764

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice