Hard Drive Failure - Coincidence?

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

paralellogram

I'm on a wireless home Internet connection with three computers...two which run windows XP and one which runs vista. The two which run XP have both suffered from hard drive failure.

I'm trying to figure out whether this is a mere coincidence, or there is an underlying connection. The only thing they have in common is that they're connected (wirelessly) to the same router (Netcore NW616). They don't share any files, aren't in the same workgroup, and have basically no interaction. There haven't been any fishy downloads or installations on either computer recently. The network uses WEP-security, but based on the neighborhood I live in, I'd put unfriendly action as a very low possibility.

To add a few details about the failure:
The hard drives make a loud clicking noise, and one computer which ran a diagnostic test failed the DST Short Status Test. It gave the following error message:

Block 35620817: Uncorrectable data error or media is write protected.

Thank you, and I hope I can get to the bottom of this with your help!

paralellogram

All of the computers are well run and maintained. It's the timing feels completely strange to me, as well as that they seem to be suffering from similar problems.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online