1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

hard drive failure is iminent

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by cong, Feb 1, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. cong

cong Thread Starter

I have little or no experience with XP.

My brother is a real noob around computers... He has an HP Pavilion that was pre loaded with XP, bought from Comp USA. He is getting a "hard drive failure is iminent" error message.

He never received any XP media for his system. (or he has no idea where it is) It is probably 2 or 3 years old. I do not thnk that he has an OS licence code, but he is still looking.

Without media, how can he reload his OS when the drive fails? Do these store bought pre loads have a work around?

If the drive hasn't completely failed yet, can we install a new drive as a slave and clone the primary drive?

2. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

A few options:

If you are not that familiar with computers, I would bring it back to Comp USA to see if they can not only replace the hard drive, but copy the contents of the current one to the new one.

Or if you have the software and knowledge, you can also try this on your own. There are several good imaging products available.

3. cong

cong Thread Starter

Could you point me in the direction of these imaging products?

4. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

Some can come with the new drive.

Acronis True Image is another one I use a lot. Very good, fast and simple. And not that expensive.

5. tec_41

tec_41

Actually all you need is the Acronis 15 day trial...Copy your hardrive and that's all you need. So it's free :)

6. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

Or if you want to be able to continue to make images to have current backups, you can just purchase a copy. Nothing like having totally crashed hard drive and no image to restore from.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/540379

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice