1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Hard drive failure, switched to secondary, having problems now

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Mozze, Feb 16, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Mozze

Mozze Thread Starter

Hi. I really hope I'm doing this right.
    My 1TB Seagate hard drive recently preducted it would fail. So, I backed up pictures, drivers, etc. and switched to my old 500GB Maxtor hard drive. My failing hard drive was experiencing random restarts, services terminating, data being lost, blue screens, it also hung on start up, and when it loaded the desktop the task bar took forever to load, and the screen would randomly go black. I'm on my Maxtor drive now, and while it boots up much faster, and according to blarc advisor is considered healthy, the screen randomly goes black as well and it seems to freeze. The screen only goes black when a lot needs to be loaded or processed. If I go on a heavily flash based site for example, it wouldn't take it too well. The system itself is very old and wasn't always mine. I only have it because someone gave it to me when my other (old) computer's processer died unexpectedly. I want to buy a new computer, but I can't afford one as of yet, so I really want to figure out the problem with this one. Everything else seems to be running fairly normally, although I DO have to activate this copy of windows, for some reason, after I installed the new drivers; it wanted me to activate it again. I'm planning on doing that tomorrow by phone, because it says this key has been used on this system too much.

OS Name Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition
    Version 5.1.2600 Service Pack 3 Build 2600
    OS Manufacturer Microsoft Corporation
    Activation Status Activation Pending (3 days remaining)
    System Name HOME-46F4D09C66
    System Manufacturer GBT___
    System Model AWRDACPI
    System Type X86-based PC
    Processor x86 Family 15 Model 4 Stepping 1 GenuineIntel ~3014 Mhz
    BIOS Version/Date Award Software International, Inc. F5, 8/19/2005
    SMBIOS Version 2.3
    Windows Directory C:\windows
    System Directory C:\windows\system32
    Boot Device \Device\HarddiskVolume1
    Locale United States
    Hardware Abstraction Layer Version = "5.1.2600.5512 (xpsp.080413-2111)"
    User Name HOME-46F4D09C66\Ally
    Time Zone Eastern Standard Time
    Total Physical Memory 3,072.00 MB
    Available Physical Memory 2.45 GB
    Total Virtual Memory 2.00 GB
    Available Virtual Memory 1.96 GB
    Page File Space 4.85 GB
    Page File C:\pagefile.sys

As you can see above, it wants activated again. I don't know why, all I did was install the drivers for my graphics card, internet, and sound. Also, for some reason the boot.ini file on this seems to be corrupt or something. Is there a way I could fix that and could it be a contributing problem? Also, the 1TB is still hooked up, I haven't removed it yet and it's still accessible from this drive. I don't know if any of this is needed, but I thought I'd try to give you as much information as possible. If you need anything else please let me know and I'll be happy to give you it.

EDIT: I'd also like to add that I've been getting memory management blue screens.

Thanks and sorry for the long description.

2. SUEOHIO

SUEOHIO

First Name:
    SUE
    I think all you can do is start all over and do another reinstall because i dont think you can just transfer one operating system from one hard drive to another harddrive and have it work or be activated.or you can get restore/recovery disks for your model of computer and unless im wrong those rarely if ever have to be activated unless a motherboard gets changed.

3. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    That's correct, Mozze.

You can't remove a hard drive from one computer that has a Windows operating system and install it in a different computer and expect it to work properly.

----------------------------------------------------------

4. Mozze

Mozze Thread Starter

Excuse me for the stupidity, but... The only thing I've installed on this hard drive from the failing one is the drivers for the internet, graphics card, and sound. Other than that, this operating system is from a different windows XP disk than the failing one, and I certainly wouldn't try to install the one from the failing drive on it. This was my main hard drive before I got the 1TB Seagate as a gift for christmas. The one I'm using currently had windows XP installed on it, I didn't just randomly install it on there when the 1TB started failing. I simply just switched to the secondary and installed the drivers so I could use the internet properly. The reason I had to do that is because the Maxtor drive was originally in my old computer, but then the processor in it fried, so I had to get a new one and by then I had already gotten the 1TB. So, the Maxtor had the drivers from my old system installed on it, that's why I had to install them last night. Unless I'm reading what you two have posted wrong, then I apologize and I'll do as you said.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1089852

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice