1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Hard drive failure!

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by sharon_sherryz, Sep 19, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. sharon_sherryz

sharon_sherryz Thread Starter

My regular scheduled Dell PC checkup detected 2 failures, targeted read test failed error code WHD20-521 and SMART short self test failure WHD16-20.. I have a Dell N4010 and Seagate hard drive ST320325AS. What should I do? I've been searching on the net and most seem to advise to get a new Hard drive. How do I decide on which one to buy? I'd like to get one with atleast 500 GB and 7200 rpm. I'm not really familiar with hardware so please answer me as simply as possible. Thanking you in advance.

2. SUEOHIO

SUEOHIO

First Name:
    SUE
    When ive needed to replace a harddrive i go to a computer repair place and get what i need.Most of them should have the one you are looking for if not they can order you one.Laptop harddrives for me at least are very easy to remove and replace.If indeed your harddrive is failing if you have anything you dont want to lose such as pix, music, documents,etc save it now to a cd/dvd so that its not lost forever.When you put in a new harddrive you will have to reinstall everything anyway and that way nothing important will be gone forever.

3. sharon_sherryz

I don't want to go directly to a computer repair place. They charge unfairly when they realize you don't have much of an idea about hardware. If I could purchase a hard drive and ask someone to install it, it would probably cost me only half as much. Kindly suggest something relevant so that I can decide what to purchase.

4. DaveBurnett

DaveBurnett Account Closed

Well there's good and bad news.
    The good is that the drive you need is a standard 2.5in Laptop SATA drive and any make of 7200 500Gb 2.5 SATA drive will fit. I can't give you a price or where to buy as I don't know where you live.
    Also your machine has an eSATA port so it should be easy to get an external eSATA case and drive so you can copy your existing drive to the new one, then swap them over and you should be good to go.. They, like the drives are not too expensive.

The bad news is that actually getting at the existing drive to physically swap it is not as easy as it usually is to swap drives. The design doesn't appear to allow you to get at the drive without removing the motherboard from the case and that is something not to be done lightly (although not difficult for someone used to doing it.).

My advice is to get the bits I've mentioned and we can help you do the copying of the drive.
    then you should get a knowledgeable friend to swap the drives, or recommend a local small (not a big chain) computer shop to do it for you. I would estimate that it is about two hours work to change it. The service manual is easy and free to download from Dell support (I just did it).

5. SUEOHIO

SUEOHIO

First Name:
    SUE
    Im going to guess that its a dell inspiron model laptop.On dell laptops on the bottom look for something that says strike zone.The harddrive should be in that vicinity.Ive changed out a lot of dell laptop harddrives and ive never had to remove the motherboard unless im missing something. If you know what you are doing to change out the drive with a new one should only take you about 5 minutes or so to do.A small computer shop will even show you how to do it so next time you will know how its done. Thats how i learned by watching then doing it myself.

6. DaveBurnett

7. mtzlplex

mtzlplex Account Closed

Just for the heck of it, I watched a YouTube video of someone removing the hd from a Dell N4010. I consider myself handy, but, I wouldn`t touch it with a 10ft pole. Whoever you have in mind to replace the hd had better be a computer wizard. Even the tech in the video was remarking how much of a hassle it was.

8. SUEOHIO

SUEOHIO

First Name:
    SUE
    I certainly wouldnt mean to ever contradict anyone at all.If it came out that way well then i am truly sorry.And by having had quite a few dell computers by some the information given i was able to figure out that it was an inspiron laptop computer.

9. sharon_sherryz

Thank you all for taking time to reply. I was hoping someone could give me a model name though. When I said I don't know much about hardware, I wasn't joking.

10. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

11. DaveBurnett

Sue. My comment was made because I didn't want Sharon to get her hopes up. I own and do maintain many Dell machines, including system boards, and they usually are one of the easiest makes to work on. I always download/read the service manual, since Dell make them freely accessible, before I reply to any Dell problems.

DoubleHelix, I was hoping that the error was not significant enough to prevent cloning of the drive. My impression was that it was a sector error.

The caddy I referred to would be one of these http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...sNodeId=1&Description=esata+external&x=22&y=9

12. SUEOHIO

SUEOHIO

First Name:
    SUE
    Well in any case that does sound like a very tough model to work on.The thought of having to dismantle a computer to get to the harddrive makes me cringe and i certainly wouldnt even attempt it and id be very cautious about buying any laptop if you had to do so to get to a harddrive.I think that was one model of dell i passed on buying only because if i remember correctly it didnt have xp drivers available if i wanted to go back to xp from windows 7.

13. sharon_sherryz

Thank you all for your help!

14. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1069508

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice