1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Hard drive failure

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Brockman, Sep 13, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Brockman

Brockman Thread Starter

I got a drive off e-bay, its a udma 4.3 gig. My old drive is 33 dont know what this 4.3 is. I put it in the puter checked bois and it showed up, put in win.98se boot disk, fiskdisk and formatted everything went ok until i got to the windows part where it ask for your numbers. i had to do it 4 times beforeit took. After that it started to install drivers and just set there and didnt do anything. I rebooted and it started scandisk got to 99 percent and just set there wouldnt go no further. any comment on this anyone.

2. ratchet

ratchet

Brockman,

You should go to the HDD manufactuers website and download and run their diagnostic software.

3. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

I suspect any 4.3gig drive that you got from eBay is questionable at best. :rolleyes: With 40gig drives selling for $40 after rebate, buying any used disk drive is probably not the best use of your funds.

4. Brockman

Brockman Thread Starter

I downloader there sofware but it didnt work, couldnt find drive. It seem to work for about 5 minutes then just quits. Im sending it back. I tried it 2 different computers and it did the same in both. Even in the bios its there 1 minute and its gone the next.

5. Brockman

Brockman Thread Starter

to the other comment, if i put a ATA 100 or 133 drive in a ATA 33 system wont that drive only run at the 33 speed??? If so then id be wasting money.

6. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Yes, if you put a slow drive into the system, it runs at the slow speed. Depending on the specific drive, it can also affect the speed of the other drive on the IDE cable, though this isn't always an issue.

7. PCMan78

PCMan78

Are you sure that jumper settings are correct? I usually put my drives in and forget later that I forget to set it for master.

8. Brockman

Brockman Thread Starter

yes the jumpers were correct,was set to master

9. Brockman

Brockman Thread Starter

it got to where i froze during scandisk, mouse was still moving but not the drive. Reboot after reboot the same thing happened. I thought it might be getting hot so i put a fan on but it still just set there. Like i said it showed in the bios that it was there then when it keep booting it would say no disk present. Reboot run scandisk again hanges on 99 % goes no further.
    Oh well the guy is sending me another one so maybe it will work. Thank all of you for the combacks.

10. PCMan78

PCMan78

try booting to dos with a startup disk and running scandisk from there. It should work then. You can select the option for "scan surface" also.

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/164610

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice