1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Hard Drive Failure

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Zundell1491, Apr 17, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Zundell1491

Zundell1491 Thread Starter

I need some help in getting an issue resolved regarding a problem I am having with my hard drive.

I have a Compaq Presario Desktop computer, Model 5003US, purchased 01/30/01 from Circuit City, ticket #322600923704, in Topeka, Kansas (the store has since closed). I purchased the extended warranty, which covers all hardware until 01/30/05. The hard drive is a Maxtor 60 GB, model #96147H6, serial #V60JDJ8C.

June 6, 2003 I received the following error when I booted up. “Error 1720: Hard drive detects imminent failure.” I contacted City Advantage Computer Support, the support service for Circuit City, at 1-800-555-4615. I dealt with two service agents, Jason, #5128 and Andy, #3590. My case number is 4205999. They first had me do a complete scan of the hard drive, which I did and no errors were reported. Then, with the help of Andy, I reformatted the hard drive and reinstalled the operations system (Windows ME) using the Restore to Factory Condition CD that came with the computer. The error still persisted and I was informed that there was nothing more they could do until the drive actually failed.

I appeared to be having more system lockups than normal and twice I booted up and got the message “operating system not found”. I used the Windows Start up Disk and was able to then restart the computer and everything was normal. On 01/13/04 I called City Advantage again and talked with David, #5063 and Sam, #4758. They had me do another complete scan, which again showed no problems with the hard drive. Again, I was told that the drive had to fail before they would replace it. This was case #4608146.

On 02/27/04 I contacted Compaq email support as I continued to get the #1720 error when I booted up. They informed me that the best was to check the integrity of the hard drive is to run the IDE DPS Self Test. They told me that this test works by determining whether the hard disk is the source of the fault. I ran this test by entering the BIOS and the test failed, stating that the hard drive was defective and needed to be replaced. The email support from Compaq was labeled #KMM7952027V46016LOKM.

I continued to experience lockups, failure to shutdown and operating system not found problems. All this time the 1720 error continues to appear. In March 2004 I reformatted my hard drive again and restored to factory condition and reinstalled all my software and hardware peripherals. The error remained and April 14, 2004 my system froze while I was opening Outlook Express. I could not force it to shut down, so I had to manually turn off the power. When I booted up it went directly to scan disk but was unable to do the scan due to the many restarts. I also noticed that a calendar software program I have been using for years was missing all my data. I exited to DOS and ran a complete scan there and it reported no drive errors or bad sectors.

I called City Advantage on April 15th but got the same response. I called back on the 16th and talked with the Customer Relations Supervisor, Bobbie, and she informed me that the error I was getting was built into the hard drive by the manufacturer as a warning that the hard drive could fail because of the number of hours logged. I had never heard this before but do not have enough knowledge to know if it is true or not. Earlier in the year I had talked with a service person at Best Buy about another problem and I asked him about the error I was getting and he said that when they get a problem like that they just replace the hard drive, no questions asked.

I need help getting this resolved. It is possible that there is nothing wrong with my hard drive, but it seems also possible that I may suddenly loose everything. I keep things fully backed up using Norton Ghost Image, but if I need a new hard drive I would like to know, even if I have to buy it myself.

2. brianF

brianF

3. Future

Future

If you are confident in taking the computer apart, you can check to see if the data cables are causing the problem. They look like a ribbon cable, and connect to the hard drive and main board, or IDE controller. Some Compaqs have their ribbon cables glued in to prevent cable creep (when the cable slips out slightly), so becareful when touchting them. The cable may have worked loose, and or be damaged. So if that is the case, then you will need to replace the data cable. You can buy them from your local computer store. There are two cables, usualy, that go to the hard drive, power cable, 4 pins, and d shaped, and the data cable, usually 40pin, but can be 80. Take note of how you take it apart, ie, draw pictures etc.

DO NOT ATTEMPT this procedure, if you are not sure of your abilities.

4. Lurker1

Lurker1

The error you are getting means that the hard drive is operating outside of its correct paramaters. In other words its bad. The number of hours its running has nothing to do with it. That code should be enough to get the hard drive replaced. Don't bother reformatting or scandisking, the drive is bad.

"I ran this test by entering the BIOS and the test failed, stating that the hard drive was defective and needed to be replaced." Contact circuit city again and give them the results of this test and hopefully they will send you a replacement drive this time.

5. brite750

brite750

Your way more patient than I am, this is a perfect example of why you should not but from CircuitCity, Compusa, Dell and the rest of them, customer service is just not their thing. Even when you break down and buy the darn service contract, they still give you the run around. I have always bought from Mom&Pop local PC places that can't afford bad blood with their customers, they know if your having a problem with the hdd, it's easy for them to RMA the darn thing and give you a new one, it's not worth the bad pr for you to get on the local internet forum and bad-mouth them to ribbins. The big boys don't give a crap, your just a drop in the ocean to them. Look at this poster, they gave him/her the run-around for like 3 months, you run your hdd diag program, it fails you get a new one, simple. If your an individual, as in not a business, buy local, or BYO.

6. Zundell1491

I want to thank you all for you suggestions, which have been quite helpful as my level of understanding computers is not the greatest. I downloaded the Maxtor drive test, created a floppy and ran the test. The drive passed all the test. I opended the case and checked all the cables which seemed to be fine. They are the wide ribbon cables. While thinking about my problem another idea came to me and I am not sure why. I remembered when, months ago, I first got the drive error the system told me it was undating the configuration of my floppy drive and CD-rom drive. I don't know why because I had made no changes that I was aware of. So I decided to enter the BIOS and change the boot order. I had the hard drive boot first, then the floppy and finally the CD-rom. The 1720 error went away and it booted normally. I have checked the device manager for all drives and they appear to be operating properly, plus they also all work fine.

Can anyone give me an idea what happened and what else I should do. I don't know why this worked or frankly even why I decided to try it. Again, thanks for your help.

7. Future

Future

It is possible your BIOS information became corrupt, and the BIOS simply forgot about your hard drive. Or didn't store its parameters correctly.

This loss of BIOS data can be cause by a low battery. It depends how long you have had the system as to if this is the problem.

If the battery is the cause, then you need to replace it, but first leave the computer on for a few hours, to give the battery a chance to re-charge. If the problem re-occurs, and the solution is the same as you have just done, then it is possibly the battery is faulty. or simply worn out.

To replace it, will involve taking the computer apart, and you should ONLY do this if you are confident and sure you are capable.

I am not being sarcastic, but computers are very sensitive and can easily be damaged, so becareful is all I am saying.

8. brite750

brite750

On 02/27/04 I contacted Compaq email support as I continued to get the #1720 error when I booted up. They informed me that the best was to check the integrity of the hard drive is to run the IDE DPS Self Test. They told me that this test works by determining whether the hard disk is the source of the fault. I ran this test by entering the BIOS and the test failed, stating that the hard drive was defective and needed to be replaced. The email support from Compaq was labeled #KMM7952027V46016LOKM

Just for my info, if this test failed then why is HDD alright now? because BIOS is faulty? this is not a reliable test? Moral of the story, always use your hdd mfr. diag test.

9. Zundell1491

Thanks for you input. I will get help changing the battery and see if this is the problem.

10. Zundell1491

Just for your information, I contacted Compaq (now HP) support again and told them what happened when I changed the boot order. They instructed me to clear the CMOS by shutting the computer down, disconnecting all power and removing the jumper for 15 seconds. This reset the CMOS and the problem is now gone, no matter what boot order I use. Again, thanks for all you input. After months of searching you got me going in the right direction. Jim

11. teyring

teyring

I have ran into this problem with a number of Compaq Presario systems. To correct the problem, as long as the hard drive passes diagnostics, you will need to re-seat the RAM module(s). I know it sounds silly, but this has worked for me 100% of the time. This is also documented at annoyances.org.

I believe there is a patch from comaq for other issues stemming from the 1720 error that relates to specific drive manufacturers, i.e Maxtor and Western Digital, but you may want to contact their support team for further information on how, why, and when to apply this supposed patch.

12. Zundell1491

Sorry to be so long in replying, but my hard drive finally crashed and I was able to get Circuit City to honor their service contract and install a new hard drive. I did as you suggested earlier and resetting the BIOS did take care of the boot up error that the drive was failing, however apparently the drive was going bad and finally did fail. Thanks for your help.

13. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/221314

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice