hard drive failure

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

dagarrett

I have a windows ME OS on a compaq. When I turn it on I get the message, unable to access hard drive. Operating system not found on any devices. Press any key to try again. I checked and reseated the cables and looked to make sure everything was connected properly. I believe the hard drive is gone but want to get another opinion because the computer is not mine. Could someone please help me?

~Candy~

Retired Administrator
Hi and welcome. Can you access the bios setup (F10) and see if the hard drive appears?

dagarrett

HI, I tried to access the bios, but I couldn't get any other message or screen to appear. I tried using a boot disk to see if something would come up, but still the same message. Any other ideas? Thanks!

~Candy~

Retired Administrator
You should still be able to access the bios setup, you hit F10 while the computer is starting up. That should come up before this error message.

And even with a hard drive failure, you should be able to boot from floppy as well as get into BIOS setup. Try again to access the BIOS (guide here: http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/bios_manufacturer.htm ), and once you get in, check to see if the drive is recognized, as AcaCandy suggested, and also look to be sure that the boot order allows for a floppy boot before a hd boot.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online