1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

hard drive failure????

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by putz46, Sep 19, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. putz46

putz46 Thread Starter

My laptop (Sony Vaio) froze up a couple of days ago. I went to reboot and it displayed a blue screen with text for less than a second then restarted again. It continued cycling through until I powered off.
    I reinstalled Windows XP; however that will not boot either. It says a different file is either missing or corrupt every time I repair xp and boot. One time it did boot but all I got was the desktop background and the mouse pointer.

I tried to use CHKDSK, but it will not go past 0%.

Is this hard drive failure, some other problem, or what???

2. Gary335

Gary335

Yeah your hard drive has definitley failed. Whenever you get messages about corrupt files, you know your HD is failing. And the fact that CHKDSK can't scan it would seem to support that.

3. putz46

putz46 Thread Starter

thank you for quick reply. Good thing I have a warranty!

4. Gary335

Gary335

Your welcome! Yes, warranties are a must.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/502570

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice