1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Hard drive failure

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by mike1990, Apr 10, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. mike1990

mike1990 Thread Starter

The other day my laptop was working, but the next day i turned the laptop on to find the loading time was about 45 minutes. Then i picked it up to move it then the laptop slipped out of my hand and the screen went to colourful lines. So i turned it off and back on again and it said hard drive failure with one beep at the power on self test. Is there any chance it could be fixed or a full hard drive back up off you guys? I really need files off the hard drive. Thank you

2. Mumbodog

Mumbodog

Make and model of Laptop?

3. mike1990

mike1990 Thread Starter

its a e system 3089 uk with a different hard drive then i got with the laptop. Its a 'fujitsu mhz2080bj ffs g2' 80gig sata hard drive

4. sickcars

sickcars

until you find a way to get the data off it, dont tun on the laptop because the more you run the hard drive the more damage your doing to it.

Now it depends on how bad of shape the hard drive is in. Sometimes you can boot up with a linux boot cd access the files and save it on a Flash drive then just replace the hard drive with a new one. But your screen is probably messed up also since you dropped it.

5. Mumbodog

Mumbodog

I would remove the drive and connect it to another PC using a usb adapter, see if you can see any data on the drive.

If it is dead, then data is gone.

6. sickcars

sickcars

There is always a way to get the data back, just depends on how much your willing to pay. Also sometimes Windows wont be able to read the drive but Linux can which is why I suggested a linux boot cd instead of hooking it up to a another computer that's probably going to be running windows.

7. Mumbodog

Mumbodog

If the drive is dead, no OS is going to see anything, if it cant mount the volume then it is fruitless.

The bios can't mount the drive, has nothing with any OS.

That is why I said to remove it, just in case the motherboard was damaged and cannot communicate with the drive.

8. mike1990

mike1990 Thread Starter

thank you guys. the screen still works but the laptop only fell about 2 inches and it says no operating system found. what do you guys suggest i do?

9. sickcars

sickcars

well im going on the fact that the hard drive is no totally dead, in which case going to linux would be a smarter choice then windows.

Of course even if the hard drive is totally dead as you suggested there are always way to get data back, just depends on how important the data is and how much the OP is willing to spend on getting it back

10. mike1990

mike1990 Thread Starter

thank you guys. the screen still
    works but the laptop only fell
    about 2 inches and it says no
    operating system found. what do
    you guys suggest i do?

11. mike1990

mike1990 Thread Starter

ive tried viewing the hard drive in backtrack 4 and i got a error. now the hard drive making weird noices. im in really bad need of getting the data off the drive and would pay any amount of money

12. Mumbodog

Mumbodog

This is the lowest cost, and reputable recovery firm that I know of, they charge a flat fee, most do not.

http://lowcostrecovery.com/pricing.html

13. sickcars

sickcars

Where are you located?

14. mike1990

mike1990 Thread Starter

im in the uk, in the north west. manchester. would it cost alot?

15. mike1990

mike1990 Thread Starter

i really would like this sorted guys

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/915982

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice