1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Hard drive failures on Dell Optiplex 790

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by bobthehippy, Mar 11, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. bobthehippy

bobthehippy Thread Starter

Has anyone encountered problems with hard drives failing in 790's? Had loads of these go in the last few weeks. And conveniently just a few weeks after the 3 year warranty had expired. Slap a new hard drive in and re-image and they're back up and running again. But a colleague said one of them was the second time in 3 months that a hard drive had to be replaced.
    Always this model. We have older Dells, HP's, etc, which rarely fail.

Wonder if it's a similar scenario to the one about 10 years ago when a peeved employee set something or other so capacitors started to blow after he left the company (so I heard from a Dell techie). GX280 was it?

2. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
  3. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Do these drives completely fail or develop bad sectors? What's the exact model of the drives that are failing?

4. plodr

plodr

First Name:
    Liz
  5. bobthehippy

bobthehippy Thread Starter

Thanks for replies. Most of them were BSOD's where the drives had failed sectors. I ran diagnostics which confirmed they had faults, and where they were still just in warranty, I called Dell, giving them the error code, so they would ship out a replacement drive.

There have been 2, which were freezing on the BIOS screen. As they were out of warranty, I just popped new drive in without running the diags first. Assumed the hard drives had failed like in the BSOD problem mentioned above. Only this week I realised that you can unlug drive for a minute, boot the PC up and upgrade the BIOS to A18.
    My colleague has been going in out of hours to upgrade all the 790's.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1144582

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice