Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

hard drive file transffers...

1K views 15 replies 5 participants last post by  ~Candy~ 
#1 ·
I have two identical seagate barracuda 80g hard drives. The first one is in the pc and the second hard drive is external (usb). Will I be able to transffer the OS and all my files from one drive to the other? If so, how can i do this?

I received a replacement hard drive and need to return the other...... and im trying to avoid having to install all the programs that i have dowloaded from the net and installed on other cd's.

Thanks.

#5 ·
There is a reason for the 32 Gigabyte hard drive but I can't remember what at the moment.
You should be able to copy over all of your files just using Explorer, You will have to access the Hidden folders as well. Start with the C: drive root directory and work up and out.

#8 ·
I have 2 hard drives.... one internal (which i need to send back) and the other is external... both are identical hard drives..... my plan was to move my operating system and files to the external hard drive so i can return the internal hard drive.... and when im done, i would just put the external in the PC.

#9 ·
Why don't you take the external out of the case, slave it to the internal drive and use the software that should have come with it to copy one drive to the other? I mean, since it's going to end up internal anyway?

If none came with it, you should be able to download it from the manufacturer's website. I usually use Maxtor's software on all my drives, regardless who made it.

#13 ·
john doe iii said:
one last question..... couldnt i just right click my C: drive and choose "copy" and paste it to my E: drive? Would that work?
No you cannot do this. There are many system files that cannot be copied by Windows while they are in use. As previously stated, you either need to use a disk to disk copy utility or invest in some good imaging software such as Norton Ghost or Acronis True Image.

I recommend using Imaging software since it makes backing up and restoring your computers a breeze. It's well worth the investment!

Rollin

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.