1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

hard drive filling up

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by krickabaugh, Dec 26, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. krickabaugh

krickabaugh Thread Starter

My hard drive keeps filling up even when I am not adding any data. Every day there is another gig of space gone. I have downloaded a disc allocation program which shows an unknown folder with 100 gigs of information but does not let me access or delete it. I have already deleted temp files and cleared the recycle bin. Any help is appreciated.

2. Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

krickabaugh
    Welcome to Tech Support Guy

1. Please provide the make and full model of the computer if branded eg Dell Inspiron and the full version of that

2. What operating system please Vista Home Premium 32 bit etc

3. GO start
    Control Panel
    Admin Tools
    Computer Management
    Disk Management on left pane
    when that loads and ensuring I can see the whole window, you may need to take two screnshots
    with image on screen press the Prt Scrn key once
    Now go
    start
    programs
    accessories
    paint
    and when that loads right click on the white and click paste
    now click the file tab and click save as
    the default is bitmap change that file type to JPEG
    Now save and on reply click go advanced and follow guidance to attach the screenshot

4. run this and post the results please
    http://static.techguy.org/download/SysInfo.exe

3. krickabaugh

Computer: Dell XPS 420
    Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.2
    OS Version: Microsoft® Windows Vista™ Home Premium, Service Pack 2, 32 bit
    Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Quad CPU Q6600 @ 2.40GHz, x64 Family 6 Model 15 Stepping 11
    Processor Count: 4
    RAM: 3069 Mb
    Graphics Card: ATI Radeon HD 4300/4500 Series, 1024 Mb
    Hard Drives: C: Total - 289835 MB, Free - 102173 MB; D: Total - 15359 MB, Free - 5188 MB; J: Total - 1907726 MB, Free - 1671564 MB;
    Motherboard: Dell Inc., 0TP406
    Antivirus: Norton Security Suite, Updated and Enabled

Attached Files:

4. Macboatmaster

Thank you
    Do you have backup fully arranged on this computer.
    I am not suggesting you will need it but I would certainly take the precaution of backing up all personal data to an external drive - at the very least

On disk 0 the partition lettered D is the reocvery partition so you must NOT change anything there
    Am I correct in thinking please that Disk 1 - lettered J is all your programs etc

Is your personal data by way of music docs and pictures stored on C. and as asked above are they backed up
    I would at the least copy them (not move them) to J

Then on the unknown folder what please are its properties, right click and any other information available

Download this
    http://download.cnet.com/Malwarebytes-Anti-Malware/3000-8022_4-10804572.html

free edition of Malwarebytes
    Be aware of the uncheck for the offered toolbar etc
    Disable NORTON
    and run a quick scan
    Post the log file please

5. krickabaugh

I have attached the log file for the malwarebytes quick scan.
    My comuper is backed up with Carbonite the online backup service.
    All my programs are on my C drive along with music files and other personal data not J. The J drive only has pictures. I am a photographer and store all photos in one spot (J drive). Everything esle is on the C drive.

The Unknown folder is from a disc allocation program that I ran to find out where the unknown data was going. The program is WinDirStat. I have attached a screen shot of this program showing the unknown file with 117GB. This unknown file is unaccessible. there are now options when I right click on it. This folder does not show up in Windows Explorer.

Hope this info helps

Attached Files:

6. Macboatmaster

You will have noticed entries in the MBAM scan for
    (PUP.Datamngr)

Potentially unwanted program
    My best advice is twofold
    1. copy your IMPORTANT personal data from C drive ONLY the images, docs and Music files themselves NOT the folders to an external drive.

2. Go here follow the instructions carefully please

http://forums.techguy.org/virus-other-malware-removal/943214-everyone-must-read-before-posting.html

create a new topic please with the logs and kindly provide a link to this topic in your post.

If you could then come back here and provide on this topic a link to your new topic in our malware forum that would be most helpful
    Please be patient in our malware forum as of course it is still the holiday period and our experts are always busy
    I would encourage you to do as I suggest
    that Datamngr is not always completely successfully resolved using MBAM or indeed other tools available to you. You need the advice of one of our esperts
    Good Luck with it

7. Macboatmaster

krickabaugh

You asked for help on 26 December and the same day, I recommended you take advantage of the expert advice in our Malware forum, from one of our highly qualified Malware anlaysis and removal experts.

You have not done so and did not reply to the advice
    Whilst of course that is entirely your choice, as it is your computer, would you kindly update this topic, to indicate if you have managed to solve the problem.

We always appreciate an update and the information may indeed prove useful, to other people browsing the site.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1082428

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice