1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Hard Drive for Back Up & ext. DVD/RW drive recommendations

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by LinLLHW, Feb 16, 2020.

Advertisement
  1. LinLLHW

LinLLHW Thread Starter

I just purchased a new computer with Windows 10. I do a lot of genealogy research. Because computers are just little boxes now, I have no DVD/RW drive.

1) The external drives that I've been looking at are not always compatible with Window 10. Recommendations, please.

2) On my old system, I used a nice little notebook purchased from Best Buy for back up. Even when my computer picked up a virus, my notebook did not. I don't just want a cloud back up but a physical chunk of hardware. Again, recommendations?

I haven't had an Internet connection for almost 4 years due to a move and a poor access area. I feel as if what I knew has become terribly dated. HELP!! Thanks much. :)

2. Oddba11

Oddba11 It's My Birthday!

First Name:
    Jim
    1) Drives are hardware. There is no requirement for the OS. I've not seen nor used a drive that didn't work with Win7 or Win10. The only issue that you may see, is if you are buying a drive for a gaming system or for a Mac computer, then it may not be formatted in a format recognized by Windows. But you could fix that easy enough with Windows Disk Management.

2) I don't know what the question or comment is here. You can backup to any external hard drive or external DVD drive. The only limitation is choosing a model which uses a common connection type with the computer. As this is a new computer, that will likely be USB3.

3. LinLLHW

LinLLHW Thread Starter

Thanks for your response. I think that I have come to the same conclusions. I just wanted to know if there was something that I should look for or avoid.

4. lynx1021

lynx1021

You need to make sure the external drive is USB3 For the fastest transfer and if you have the money an external SSD would be the best because mechanical drives can fail. I have been very lucky I that the last drive that failed on me gave me early warning and I got the data off before it completely failed. Strange, it had to warm up before you could see the files,LOL! Oh and don't leave the connected all the time. External DVD drive can burn a dual layer Data DVD up to 9.5GB I think, Blu ray has some 50GB disks. There are some special disks that last 100 years called M-Disc, your burner has to be compatible with them.

Last edited: Feb 17, 2020
  5. LinLLHW

LinLLHW Thread Starter

I spent over an hour today reading articles and reviews on external drives. So far, I haven't found a drive that I would purchase. One of the issues that I've seen several times now is the fact that the drives and Windows 10 are NOT compatible due to the long file paths in Windows. That is the reason for my initial post. I've looked at Seagate and WD so far. I haven't yet researched SSDs. Thanks for the suggestion. I think that so many functions have been added to these drives that it has made them unstable. There SO many negative reviews.

6. Johnny b

Johnny b

First Name:
    John
    I have a Win 10 pro computer.
    I have no issues with Western Digital external drives when using them for backups.

I prefer Western Digital to Seagate.

SSds as external drives are not thought to be as reliable for long storage periods as an external hard drive. It's not a failure issue, it's about the way the data is stored.

7. LinLLHW

LinLLHW Thread Starter

All I want to do is backup my data. It doesn't have to be portable, etc., etc. I am currently using OneDrive. Not totally impressed with that. I thought that I would use OneDrive and an external drive. May I ask which WD you have?

8. Johnny b

Johnny b

First Name:
    John
    I use a 2T WD My Book Essential, among others.
    I don't know if this model is still on the market, it's about 4 or 5 years old as I remember. Maybe more.

I currently backup data and drive images of a Win 7 Home and a Win 10 Pro to it.

I even do backups of data from the WIn 7 Home computer to both an old Maxtor ( bought out by Seagate) IDE hard drive in a universal USB 2.0 enclosure......and a WD (correction) 250 gb sata internal drive in a resused Seagate enclosure.

For a backup app, I use SyncBack Free. I have used versions of it for at least the last 15 years, with no issues.
    https://www.2brightsparks.com/freeware/freeware-hub.html

Last edited: Feb 17, 2020
  9. Oddba11

Oddba11 It's My Birthday!

First Name:
    Jim
    I don't know what you are reading, but any OS can use any drive. The drive simply stores data. Long file names would be an OS issue, not a drive issue.

Simply choose a drive based on brand preference, warranty, and price and call it a day.

10. Noyb

Noyb Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Jay
    Western Digital black series HDDs have a 5yr warranty because they’re made better.
    I build my own externals by getting an enclosure then installing a WD Black HDD.
    You don’t know what you get in pre-mades.

This is my Favorite external enclosure because it has a front panel power switch.

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1240328

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice