1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

hard drive format dilema..

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by ChfTx, Oct 1, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. ChfTx

ChfTx Thread Starter

Micron, P2, 400MHz, 128 RAM......I got it junked so I don't know what OP was on it.......

Not sure where to begin ...this is kind of a continuation of another thread......sorta

I think I need help w/ FDISK and also "boot sequence" in set-up..

The system has cd, floppy, zip and a hard drive..

I thought I got all partitions deleted, created a Primary with 100% of the space.... and formatted the hard drive, but it says there's only 2MB on the drive.....?
    I tried all the letters and can't seem to find the right one.....

I know there has to be something simple I'm missing or not doing, but I don't know....

NOTE: Drive "E" says can't format a network drive.....so I assume this computer was once part of a network (I don't know the history of this machine)..this is where the "boot sequence" question comes in....and general set-up questions. I changed all to default seetings to see if it would work....nope

I believe "A" and "B" are the floppy and the zip respectively,cuz it tell me to insert a disk first on each

let me know any more info you need ...please....

Thanks

2. mobo

mobo

When making the partition and asked for enable lartge disk suport did you select y ?

3. raybro

raybro

Trying to sort through the items...

Did you use a boot floppy and get into fdisk to do the partitioning work? What partition info is shown in fdisk?

If you do not have a boot floppy, you can create one in Win98, Control Panel|Add/Remove Programs|Startup Disk tab. Or you can download a file to your desktop from www.bootdisk.com and create one from that file.

In BIOS boot sequence, I recommend the order should be Floppy drive first, CD-ROM drive second, and Hard drive third.

I would disconnect the ZIP drive until you get things straightened out.

4. ChfTx

ChfTx Thread Starter

mb..I selected Y

raybro.........I used a boot floppy to get to FDISK...there were no partitions in the info from fdisk.......... and I disconnected the zip drive first thing

lemme check out the boot sequence.....

5. DaveBurnett

DaveBurnett Account Closed

It MUST be a boot disk from 95 OSR2 or later, so that Fat32 is supported.

6. mobo

mobo

Another thing would be to enter the bios and under standard cmos check under primary drive to verify lba is enabled.

7. ChfTx

ChfTx Thread Starter

Ok...I reset all the default settings in set-up, downloaded a different boot disk, started from scratch and all worked well......

However, I have a question about something.......

I've been doing some reading on some different sites and lemme see if I have this straight........if I only want a Primary Partition (one partition) on my hard drive, when I format it, it needs the command "format C:/s" to format....................if I'm creating more than one partition, "format C:" will suffice and I can create the active drive after I'm done creating partitions................BUT, if I only create one partition and "format C:" without the "/s", then I'm not transferring my system files and it won't work properly...........

Am I close?...Comments are welcome....
    Thanks

8. raybro

raybro

The "/s" has nothing whatsoever to do with how many partitions you have. If you desire more than one partition and you are using fdisk for the partion creation, you must create all partitions prior to installing anything.

If you plan to do any degree of partition management on your PC, I strongly recommend a 3rd party partitioning software. A major advantage is you can do almost anything you want with existing partitions without loss of data. Resize , move, create, etc. You cannot do any of that without threat to existing data using fdisk.

Here are a couple of links to sites you may find informative:

http://www.techhowto.com/How_to/os/part.php

http://fdisk.radified.com/

http://aumha.org/win4/a/parts.htm

9. Lurker1

Lurker1

NO. What this is asking is if you want to use FAT16(No) or FAT32 (yes) when you format your hard drive. The size of each partition comes after this. Generally you will want to use FAT32 as it is better for large hard drives and FAT16 only allows partition sizes up to two GIG max.

You would use the command FORMAT C: \S to transfer the system files from the floppy drive to the C drive so that the system can boot off the C drive.

EDIT: Well thanks for deleting the incorrect information, but now it looks like i'm talking to myself. :D

10. raybro

raybro

LOL.. I looked and looked for the source of the quote in your post. Finally went back and read your edit and the sun came shining thru. :rolleyes:

Dontcha hate it when that happens. :D

BTW.. A small but important item. To format a drive/partrition, the typed in entry should be format c: /s rather than format c: \s :cool:

11. mobo

mobo

No sense in leaving an error is there :D

12. ChfTx

ChfTx Thread Starter

If I Fdisk a drive to get rid of all partitions, but don't want to create any, just format the drive........format c/s....correct?

There really is a reason why I want to get this straight, I know I must seem a bit dense at this point, but please humor me. Part of it is that I don't understand why sometimes "format c:" and sometimes "format c:/s" and this may help clear things up for me (lift the fog maybe)

Thanks for your patience

13. mobo

mobo

the s extension copies fles from the floppy whereas format c: does not..I would just use format c: in your case..

14. ChfTx

ChfTx Thread Starter

may I ask then, what files would you want to copy from the floppy......and why?

15. mobo

mobo

Cdrom, keyboard, mouse and other driver files to be exact..

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/168935

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice