1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Hard drive formatted space

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by ljCharlie, Mar 31, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ljCharlie

ljCharlie Thread Starter

Can anyone explain why after a hard drive, let's say 20GB, is formatted, the hard drive capacity is only 18.6GB or something along that line? The capacity tends to decrease more as the hard drive size gets larger. For example, I installed a 120GB Westerndigital harddrive with 8MB of cache and I lost 8.3GB of space after formatted. Am I doing something wrong or is the manufacture actually telling consumer the wrong number? For instance, on a Westerndigital wesbite a 20GB WD200BB hard drive, the specs show a formatted capacity of 200,049 MB but after I formatted the hard drive, the realized or actual size is approximately 1,449MB less the total size than what's reported on the Westerndigital webpage.

Any response is appreciated.

ljCharlie

2. McTimson

McTimson

It's the way drive manufacturers and Windows handle GB's....Drive manufacturers use 1,000 kilobytes = 1MB, and Windows uses 1,024 kilobytes = 1MB....so the box will say 20GB, because it is, according to their scpecifications...but Windows will say it's 18.6GB...either way, you're not really losing anything, it's kind of like currency values in different countries... in the US, a dollar is a dollar, but in Canada, it's worth more....but everything else costs more, so it all works out.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/216314

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice