1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Hard drive formatting instruction for brand new hard drive

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by rskin2001, May 16, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. rskin2001

rskin2001 Thread Starter

I installed a brand new hard drive in my hp pavilion ze4630 and even when booting from the the Win XP disk it does not see the new hard drive. I tried using a Win Me disk in an attempt format from dos but unit does not boot into dos. The hard drive is a Toshiba MK4025GAS and i did not find a driver on their site. What do i need to do to initialize a virgin hard drive ? Also tried installing as slave drive to my desktop and format with functioning Win XP but it also did not see the drive. Thanks for assistance with this matter.

2. prunejuice

prunejuice

Can you see the drive in the BIOS setup?

3. photolady

photolady

If after you install the drive in the laptop, make sure your computer/laptop is set to boot from the cdrom/dvdrom/cdrw/dvdrw drive first.

And although windows in your desktop, doesn't see the slave drive, if you right click on My Computer and chose Manage, chose Disk Management when that window opens, you shoud see your drive in there, then you can partition it and format.

4. Jedi_Master

Jedi_Master

Howdy folks...

If XP isn't seeing it then more than likely the BIOS isn't either, make sure that it is connected correctly, if it is then take it back it's defective...

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/467932

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice