1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Hard drive found if CMOS but cannot be accessed

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by A-king, Jan 19, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. A-king

A-king Thread Starter

it's a 160GB Sata when ever i start up the PC it is saying drive not detected. i checked the CMOS and it showed the hear drive fine there, then i tried hard drive hirens boot cd and used the win xp mini boot option, whent to the disk manger and i didn't even see the drive there. tried my windows xp disk (tweeted with the sata drivers:cool:) to see if i could repair it or even format it but when it reached that point i saw the drive but it was saying that the drive could not be formated.

How can i make the drive accessible once more? :confused:
    or if i have to even format it.:mad:

2. rickmamo

rickmamo

Make sure there is no raid feature enabled in BIOS, verify the drive shows up, and also that sata controller is enabled (in ide mode if applicable). use auto settings on drive if not already. save and exit test..might also try disabling umda or lba, or dma if its an older style sata drive,...can always change back or load defaults

also make certain the jumper isn't loose, set properly, and of course disconnect-reconnect drive cables

3. A-king

A-king Thread Starter

Is show fine in the BIOS with no raid enabled, i didn't see a IDE mode, all settings where setted to auto, i don't know what is umda, lba dma all the jumper is ok

I forget to state the i was working just fine before.

4. rickmamo

rickmamo

udma is usually avail when Not set to auto - it's along shot anyways
    just to make sure...i know you dont have a raid array but sometimes the sata controller works in multiple ways...idemode/raid/etc if you see sata controller enabled under under advanced config there could be additional ide/sata/raid subfeature or similar listed below it... not to be overlooked

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/975635

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice