1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Hard Drive full - now XP not running properly - HELP!

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by 964RS, Jan 5, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. 964RS

964RS Thread Starter

I hope someone can help.

My daughter downloaded a huge amount of photo's from our camera to the C;Drive which wiped out the remaining memory.

Now when the pc starts it is not running my normal XP home desktop - it seems to be only showing the shared desktop icons and none of my programs are running correctly?

It is as if it is running in some sort of minimal mode because there was not sufficient memory but even though I've transferred all the photo's onto my USB drive, run CCleaner and now got 2gb hard drive space it still starts in this minimal way each time.

My Desktop folder is still in my User file with all my files visible under my computer. My programs files are still all under my User name also.

However when I click on something like Microsoft Office or another similar program it comes up with 'Preparing to Install' and tries to configure it....then fails.

Under Documents & Settings in the Local Disk (C:) I have the usual Users files but also a blue TEMP file which I'm sure was not there before?

Is XP home running in a temporary mode because of the original memory issue? How can I get it back to running as it was? Everything still seems to be there just not starting up correctly nor allowing me to access some things?

HELP! :)

Jason

2. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    Right-click MY COMPUTER, then click Properties - System Restore.

Move the slider from its default value of 12% to 3%, then click Apply - OK.

----------------------------------------------------------

Right-click RECYCLE BIN, then click Properties.

Move the slider from its default value of 10% to 3%, then click Apply - OK.

-----------------------------------------------------------

Click Start - Run, then type in

%temp% (% is the percentage symbol on the number 5 key)

and then click OK.

Click Start - Run, then type in

c:\windows\temp

and then click OK.

Once those 2 temp folders appear and you can view their contents, select and delete EVERYTHING that's inside them.

If a few files resist being deleted, that's normal behavior. Leave them alone and delete EVERYTHING else.

If a massive number of files are being deleted, the computer may appear to "hang". Be patient and wait for the deletion process to finish.

------------------------------------------------------------

After all of the above has been done, empty the recycle bin first, then restart the computer.

-------------------------------------------------------------

3. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    If you used the "Registry" feature and over-used the "Cleaner" feature of CCleaner, you possibly damaged Windows and broke some programs. :(

-----------------------------------------------------------

4. 964RS

964RS Thread Starter

Ok tried above but not worked.

I can't open the recycle bin and if I rightclick properties it says 'The Properties for this Item are not available'.

I tried doing everything else you said and emptied recycle bin with CCleaner instead? But still doing same thing on start up etc

5. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    I'm not there to see that computer, so it's difficult to diagnose and resolve your issues.

Have you tried using System Restore to revert that computer back to a date and time PRIOR to when the photos were downloaded in it?

----------------------------------------------------------

6. 964RS

964RS Thread Starter

I've tried a system restore but the only date it gives me is yesterday (after the event). It seems that when the hard drive is full all your previous system restore points are deleted by Windows!! Which is helpful :(

7. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    Unless someone else has a resolution to your issues, a "clean" reinstall of Windows XP SP3 and getting a fresh start with that computer may be your best option.

---------------------------------------------------------

8. DaveBurnett

DaveBurnett Account Closed

It sounds a bit as though you have somehow managed to logon as a different user.

9. AtlBo

AtlBo

I have a question. How large a HD is this? You say you have 2 GB of free space. That's not very much space for an XP installation to work with. When drives start to fill, installations will slow. From a post I found:

"One the whole, the amount of free space won't affect anything, so long as there's ample room for the swap file to grow as needed. Once you get below about 10% free, this will start to become a problem. Anything above the magical 10% mark won't have any real impact."

Also, deframenting and System Restore, as you mentioned, rely on free space. In the case of defragmenting, this is so that data can be moved and organized. It's important to defragment often (I defrag once a day at night on a schedule) to optimize performance. One other thing on this topic. If you use the internet, you can very quickly build up 100 or 200 or more MB of temporary internet files. That's going to chew up space quickly on a nearly full hard drive.

Honestly...I say the more free space the better. I like to keep HDs below 40% capacity. If they begin to push 40%, I move to a larger drive, and I think this is good policy for the health and performance of a PC and for preservation of data.

I can verify the performance angle is true. I have an installation of Windows XP on Sun VritualBox that runs very slowly in a 10 GB partiton. It takes me about 10 minutes of using the internet to get a memory warning telling me that my PC is running out of HD space. I have kept the installation for experimental purposes basically just to learn what I can on this topic...

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1083863

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice