1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Hard drive giving out?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by BarryBostwick, Aug 16, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BarryBostwick

BarryBostwick Thread Starter

I have two hard drives in my computer, 1. 500gb for my windows OS and 2. 1tb for my data. I today backup all my data to my terabyte hdd to reload windows. So I have a fresh copy of windows, great. But my second HDD, the terabyte, won't show up. I've tried swapping cables, turning it off for an hour to cool, blah blah. Nothing.

What's interesting is, 50% of the time I boot my computer and go into my bios it will see the terabyte drive. The other 50% it wont. I've gotten windows to see the drive once or twice, but when I try to access the drive, Windows Explorer freezes.

So heres my question. To me, this looks like a physical problem. Now I have a lot of important data on my terabyte drive. Are there any ways to retrieve my data? Even if it means replacing parts on the HDD itself?

-Thanks.

2. trelph

trelph It's My Birthday!

Try going in with a live Linux disc. Most mainstream distributions handle NTFS, so if it can be mounted it can read/write the drive. Also, you could be able to do an integrity check to make sure there isn't a physical problem.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/852748

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice