1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

hard drive going bad??

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by vance_iat, Aug 4, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. vance_iat

vance_iat Thread Starter

I have an Award_ AWRDACPI computer with win2k sp4. It was freezing and clicking three times at startup and again twice before the login prompt so I reformatted and reinstalled win2k but now it's doing the same thing again. During startup, it clicks 3x, I'm not sure if that's normal, but the 2 clicks I don't think is normal. The hard drive is a Western DIgital Caviar model WD200BB-32CXA0. I went to the WD website and found a diagnostic tool and ran it. It passed all tests except for one part of the SMART test which says "Read Error Rate" failed. Also when I ran windows chkdsk utility to check for errors, it said "doesn't have exclusive access to hard drive". I had to reboot the computer and it would do the check disk just before startup.

I also tried several other HD's in the same box, but I'm getting the Stop error 0x0000007B (0xC0000034, 0x00000000, 0x00000000).

I then tried the original HD on another box and heard the same clicking sounds. Not sure if this is a hard drive issues or something else. What do you guys think?

2. vance_iat

vance_iat Thread Starter

did more troubleshooting and found that it's the floppy drive that makes the clicking sound. i tried another floppy drive and it does the same thing.

3. seekermeister

seekermeister

Apparently, you have the floppy set to boot before the harddrive in the bios. If it annoys you, reset the boot sequence.

4. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

5. vance_iat

vance_iat Thread Starter

Seeker, after i changed the boot order and put the hd before the floppy the 3 clicks went away, but the 2 clicks is still there as Windows loads. It's a Mitsumi D359M3D FDD.

Bob, I also disconnected the FDD and the clicks go away so it's the FDD. However, I tried to other floppy drives and they both did the same thing, same 2 clicks. Other things I tried to troubleshoot were change the power supply and replace memory and FDD cables.

What else can I do? The fans are ok. the temperature seems normal.

6. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

Again, the floppy disk has nothing to do with the errors you are getting. Did you have a chance to look at all the suggestions in those articles?

7. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Why not visit the WD site and download their diagnostic. A compete scan of the hard disk will tell you for sure if you have a hard disk error. It sure sounds likely...

8. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

It sounds like you already download the diagnostic from the WD web site. Is that correct?

9. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

If it's getting SMART errors, I'd be thinking about a replacement.

10. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

Yes Asbolutely. There is more than just the floppy drive that is having problems.

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/489321

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice