1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Hard drive going bad?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by deuce, Nov 23, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. deuce

deuce Thread Starter

I have a bizzare problem. This is part two to a thread from early November. I have been trying to get this old Compaq to work, have two HDs on it, both 2.1 GB and one has the OS and the other has most of the other stuff. The 2nd HD, (the one without the OS) isn't being recognized by windows anymore, but it is in the bios. I am going to try booting with it in a different computer to see if that will work but I am going to finish writing this first. On the other one, the label has changed mysterously to aw, and when I try to change it back it says write error. I haven't tried writing anything else to the HD, but I am going to see it that has a problem or not. The HD with the OS, (the only one win98 recognizes) only has the windows directory on it, (nothing else) and the windows directory says it has about 300mb or 400mb or so (I don't remember exactly) in it, but "my computer" says there is 1.6 GB used, and only 395 mb free. What I can't figure is why my computer says 1.6 GB is used, but if you go into the HD there is only about 300mb or so used. Why do you think it does this? I am going to try each HD in a different computer and will post back if things are different. Are the HDs going bad? I am thinking about picking up a new one today.

Compaq 4505 (yes I know... but it was free)
    133Mhz MMX
    48mb sdram
    2- 2.1 GB HD
    Phoenix bios (can't find what version) dated 8/20/97

2. deuce

deuce Thread Starter

Ok after working on it I've determined that the hard drive is going bad... going to get a new one. Thread can be closed. :)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/59367

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice