Hard Drive Help!

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

comp_girl

I have a Dell Inspiron 1525 laptop that is about 3 1/2 years old. Upon boot-up I get an error message stating that the hard drive is about to fail. I have online backup so data recovery is not an issue. I ran the Dell diagnostics and received error code 2000-0146. The computer is out of warranty, so I am getting no help from Dell. They do have a link to something called an Iola system solution, which I ran and it showed some 200 errors on my computer, including an error on the hard drive. It claims to be able to fix it all for $40.

My question is, can this software fix my problem, or do I need a new hard drive? I don't want to waste $40 on this product if what I really need is a new hard drive.

I did also try removing the hard drive, booting it from a disk, and then replacing it. Nothing changed. The computer seems to run slower every time I turn it on, so I am avoiding using it except to try to fix the problem.

crjdriver

Test the hard drive with the drive maker's diagnostic. You download this from whomever made the drive ie WD, Seagate, etc. Get the boot or dos version and make the bootable CD or flash drive and boot the system from that media.

Another option is to boot the system with a linux live CD. I use parted magic for all types of hard disk tasks ie secure erase, file recovery, testing drives, etc.
http://partedmagic.com/doku.php

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online