1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Hard drive help

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by certified77, Sep 20, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. certified77

certified77 Thread Starter

Hi, I have a compaq 5834 its about 4 years old windows98se. I recently purchased a dell 8250 windows xp home. I was wondering is there a way to use the compaq like a secound drive, I guess I mean connect the two togeather..I bet your rethinking theres no stupid question now lol thanks

2. Rockn

Rockn

Network them.

3. saikee

saikee

It is possible to take the Compaq hard disk, install it into the Dell, reconfigure the hardware of the WinSE to suit the Dell machine and dual boot it with XP. For simplicity I would probably run a Linux to manage all these as a Linux bootloader can multi-boot them by default.

To protect the Dell's warranty I would set the Dell's BIOS to boot the Compaq drive first, repartition it to get space to load a Linux, install the Linux bootloader into the Master Boot Record (MBR) of the Compaq disk and have Linux, WinSE and XP as booting choices without altering a single byte in the Dell's hard disk.

If anything goes pear shape I can just remove the Compaq disk and have the Dell back to its original condition in seconds.

However if you are not interested in running WInSE again and only after the extra hard disk space then just hook the Compaq drive as a slave disk in Dell, reformat it and have the whole drive free for storage purposes.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/276021

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice