1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Hard Drive Help !

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by PauL-, Jul 3, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. PauL-

PauL- Thread Starter

Ok so my new hard drive just came, and I want to ask a couple things before I put it in. I built my pc by myself, but I'm kind of a noob with this hard drive stuff. I currently have a 80 gig internal, and I just got a 250 gig internal ( WD2500YS ). I want the 250 to be the primary, and
    the 80 as extra space for videos, music, etc..

So.. All I have to do is put it in and install windows on it, and then I can just drag and drop files from one hard drive to the other? Or is there a safer / better way ?

- Oh and it was oem so theres no jumper on the hd. Do I need to get one ?

My brother tried doing the same thing a while back and somehow all of the files from his old hard drive just disapeared and the drive was blank, so I'd rather not do something wrong and have that happen to me.

2. DYMongoose

DYMongoose

You need to set the drives up so that the 250 is "Master" and the 80 is "Slave". This can either be done by cable select (sorry, don't really remember how to set that up!) or with jumpers. I think jumpers are the easiest way to do it, personally...

For now (until you can get some jumpers for the drives) I would install the new drive and copy EVERYTHING over to it (make it a clone of the old drive) and then just take out the old drive alltogether until you can Master/Slave them.

This may be confusing - I'm sure someone else can put it more elloquently, or maybe even give better advice... I don't do so well with remote help. But if no one else responds, I'm pretty sure my advice won't lead you astray :)

3. PauL-

PauL- Thread Starter

So can I just take out the old hard drive, install the new one. Then sometim later when i get another jumper put the old hard drive in as Slave? Does it matter if I have the old hard drive in while I put in the new one, or can I put it in later without losing the old data ?

4. DYMongoose

DYMongoose

Oh wait... hold up, I gave some bad advice... you won't be able to straight-up copy the old drive over to the new one because some of the files will be in use. Hmm...

OK, what you'll need to do is remove the old drive and install the new one (I hope you still have CDs for Windows and your drivers, otherwise this won't be a fun experience). After you get the new drive set up you'll want to plug the old one back in (with the new one still attached) and copy all of your files over. Hopefully there won't be any conflicts between the drives.

Sorry I'm not more help. I'd do a lot beter if the drives were physically right in front of me :)

5. yocalif

yocalif

If your old HD is a SATA then your bios takes care of everything meaning you don't need to set jumpers.

2nd, while its nice to clone your old HD onto the new drive making it easy to get going, it never hurts to re-install everything from scratch. That way you will have a nice clean system.
    If you decide to do a clean install, it will take you 3 to 5 hours, make sure you have the latest version of your anti-virus, and all the drivers needed. Why, I like to disconnect from the internet when I do clean installs. Often applications will go on the net for updates, and some load your system up with more crap. Disconnected from the internet, I load up my anti virus protection stuff, adware stuff, and other protection, then I turn on the internet connection. I then complete installing my applications. I use Winpatrol that monitors start up and processes, after my main apps are installed, I make a copy of the startup list and process list, then I can compare it when stuff starts getting installed.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/591321

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice