1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Hard Drive house cleaning

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by gjg, Feb 15, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gjg

gjg Thread Starter

I need more hard disk space and am looking to delete unneeded stuff. I fine a file named "Downloaded Program Files" Looks like a lot of usless stuff. Any harm in getting rid of all of these files?

2. Styxx

Styxx Banned

I leave the Java entries in there but otherwise delete the rest.

3. griffinspc

griffinspc

Welcome to the board river gig, Whoops, make that GJG

I wrote this awhile back for another poster, maybe you can use some of it;

A tweaking primer and just my opinion I wrote a while back.

1st, Use Find and locate all:

*.tmp
    *.chk
    *.bak

files and delete to recycle bin or use Disk Cleanup, re-boot. If all is OK (it should be) then empty the recycle bin.

then delete all browser temp files.

2nd, Use Add/Remove and uninstall all programs you don't use or want.

3rd, Go into Add/Remove/Windows setup and uncheck any Windows apps and tools you don't use such as the Accessibility line (that's if you don't need it). When you get to accessories click on details and uncheck any boxes you don't need like that lame "Calculator" or games. Address Book. Whatever you don't need under details of communications (be careful here, do not uncheck if you aren't sure), desktop themes completely, details in internet Tools, Multiple Language support, details in Multimedia (again be careful here), details in On-Line services, outlook express if you don't use it, details in system tools, Microsoft FAX, The Microsoft Network, Windows messaging.

This list of Windows items is partial Win95 and 98 and depends on what was installed during the initial setup. You may not see some of these is what I'm saying and if you are unsure of an entry post back and ask.

Everything you uncheck will be removed when you click "Apply". If you have your original Win9X CD or the CAB files on your hard drive you can recover any of these at a later date if you decide you want it. If you don't have your CAB files on the hard drive and you have the room (120 MB approx) I'd suggest you put them in a folder named c:\wincab.. That way if you ever lose your Windows disk or it gets damaged you'll be OK.

4th, Go through all your Word or other text writing program documents and delete all you don't need anymore. The same goes for spreadsheets such as Excel or Access. Music files?

5th, rid yourself of excess fonts. They load slow, take up space and use resources and about half are never used by anyone. They are installed by 3rd party software, games, etc. Obviously if you don't speak Hebrew you don't need Hebrew.

Here's How without using 3rd party software:
    Click on CONTROL PANEL
    Double Click on the FONTS Icon
    Highlight the Fonts you wish to uninstall
    Click FILE (in the top navigation bar)
    Click DELETE
    Click on OK (in the WINDOWS FONT FOLDER alert window)
    Tips:
    You can see what a font looks like by right clicking on it's name an clicking "open".
    You can select specific font files by holding down the CTRL key.
    You can select a range of font files by holding down the SHIFT key.

DO NOT DELETE THESE FONTS:
    Arial (TrueType)
    Arial Bold (TrueType)
    Arial Bold Italic (TrueType)
    Arial Italic (TrueType)
    Courier 10,12,15 (VGA res)
    Courier New (TrueType)
    Courier New Bold (TrueType)
    Courier New Bold Italic (TrueType)
    Courier New Italic (TrueType)
    Marlett (Windows 95/98)*
    Modern (Plotter)
    MS Sans Serif 8,10,12,14,18,24 (VGA res)
    MS Serif 8,10,12,14,18,24 (VGA res)
    Roman (Plotter)
    Script (Plotter)
    Small fonts (VGA res)
    Symbol (TrueType)
    Symbol 8,10,12,14,18,24 (VGA res)
    Times New Roman (TrueType) -
    Times New Roman Bold (TrueType)
    Times New Roman Bold Italic (TrueType)
    Times New Roman Italic (TrueType)
    Wingdings (TrueType)
    Any font with a red A for its icon.
    Any font that begins with the letters MS.

6th, Right click on My Computer and Properties. Go to the Performance tab / File System and change "Typical role of this computer" to Network Server.

PERFORM YOUR RE-BOOTS, DEFRAG THE DRIVE(S)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/119028

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice