1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Hard Drive Install Help Needed

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by cheesha, Nov 19, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. cheesha

cheesha Thread Starter

Hi,

Hard Drive in HP Notebook has gone bad.
    Ordered exact Hard Drive that was in the Notebook so that I'd be sure it worked. Ordered it from newegg.com
    There are no instructions with the Hard Drive. :eek: I was counting on that!

Would someone be kind enough to list the steps for install of the Hard Drive as well as the OS? (I have winXp Home Edition)

Also: I just assumed I had to take out the 2 main screws and pull Hard Drive out. I'm meeting with resistance so want to double check if I'm doing it right before I proceed.

Thanks in advance!

2. saikee

saikee

The 2.5" laptop hard drive is fixed to a drawer frame by 4 screws normally. The frame caddy in turn is fixed to the laptop by a screw usually with a sticker on top say "warranty void if removed".

After the retaining screw has been removed the caddy should be able to removed by finger action. It is a push fit with the signal pins inserted into a plastic guide. Some laptop hard drives may have the clip that has to be slided or push upward to avoid catching a stopper.

The transfter of the operating system is more involved and requires the use of special software like Norton Ghost or Drive IMage by Powe Quest that run in DOS. Also one needs to put the one of the drive into an external hard disk enclosure to access it as an external drive by the USB port.

If the two drives are identical you can clone it with a Linux Live CD (free software), one that runs on CD without being installed into a hard drive. This thread gives instructions.

3. cheesha

cheesha Thread Starter

Thanks so much for the helpful information. Let me clarify something though. I don't need to get any Data off the old Hard Drive. There is nothing to get. We lost everything while trying to troubleshoot the problems.

But, I've got the original operating system software and just assumed that I could reinstall it on the new Hard Drive. Is that correct?

Once I pop the new Hard Drive into place....am I booting up first from the CD drive <with the operating system CD in the bay?>

Am I formating the Hard Drive with the WinXP CD?

4. replay

replay

put in new harddrive....hit delete (or whatever to get into bios) upon bootup...set date time etc.... set to boot from cd.... mahe sure your xp disc is in cd drive... it will ask u "do u want to format drive" ..... yes.... this will take a while.... then windows load...

5. cheesha

cheesha Thread Starter

Thanks so much!!

6. saikee

saikee

I second replay that the installation CD will do everything for you. The installation CD has to be designed so that it can take a user by his/her hand to a complete installation, in order for the system to sell.

7. cheesha

cheesha Thread Starter

1 more question:

I'm currently formatting the new Hard Drive. All is well, except, the blue set up screen is a smallish square that does not come close to filling up the screen. When the first hard drive was going bad and HP walked us through all kinds of steps, including reformating old drive, this small screen problem occured. HP said they didn't know why it happened but that it would be resolved with the new Hard Drive. Well, it isn't.

Any ideas what to do? Is it something in the Bios that HP has changed?
    video card? The picture is clear, it's just centered and small (about the site of a postcard) and doesn't fit the screen.

8. saikee

saikee

Goto Control panel/display/settings to opt for a coarser screen definition and you can see the display better. 1024x768 is good for 14" but you can try 800x600 or even 640x480. You can always switch it to a higher mode later on.

9. cheesha

cheesha Thread Starter

The entire Problem is now resolved! New Hard installed, OS installed, Monitor resolution problem resolved.

<side note> I didn't try changing display settings because HP claimed that wasn't the problem. I'll learn next time to trust my own instincts!

Thanks for ALL the Help!

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/298398

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice