1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Hard Drive Install

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Cage72, Apr 4, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Cage72

Cage72 Thread Starter

I'm trying to replace my current 10 gig trigem/samsung HD that I swapped out of my old E-machines system from a few years back with a new 250 gig Maxtor HD as the new C: Drive/Boot Drive. I used the disk that came with it..as of this point is formatted. I'm wanting to use the New drive as stated as the primary. How Do I go about doing that..Iv'e tried changing the jumper settings from my current C: to slave..and the newer one as Master drive..So i can move files ..and programs from the old to the new. When trying to install XP home on the new one..it wouldn't allow me since i didn't have and exsisting OS on it already. I'm kind of confused at this point as what to do? I'm not sure if this makes a difference but I do have a D: Drive as well. Any at all info would be appreciated, Thanks in Advance.

System Specs:
    Intel P4 D845WN Mobo
    Intel P4 1.5 CPU
    384 SDRAM
    Windows XP Home
    C: Trigem/Samsung 10 gig HD
    D: Western Digital 60 gig HD

2. Wet Chicken

Wet Chicken

Did you add the new drive in the BIOS ?

3. Wet Chicken

Wet Chicken

Just use your boot disk an install it from there. Is your XP a full version or upgrade?

4. Cage72

Cage72 Thread Starter

Is XP Home Edition Upgrade...use to have (M)axium) E(x)cretion on my system.

5. LONGHAIR

LONGHAIR

There is usually a floppy disc that comes with the new drive. It will give you the ability to copy the old drive to the new one. You cannot simply copy the OS and installed programs by slaving one drive to the other and transfering with Windows Explorer. It will not work. You can copy your other data like that (images,MP3s,etc.)

If you didn't get it with the drive, you can download it from here.
    http://www.maxtor.com/en/support/downloads/maxblast3win.htm

6. Cage72

Cage72 Thread Starter

Would Ghost work for my situation? Yes I know you can't just copy the OS. I tried installing XP on the new drive..as the master...with no other hd's hooked up..and wouldn't allow me to install w/o and OS currently installed. Iv'e tried connecting the current as the primary..and new as slave..and vice versa...nothing gives.

7. LONGHAIR

LONGHAIR

Yes Ghost would work, if you already have a Ghost image on another drive.

WinXP IS the OS, how would it expect you to already have an OS installed.

8. Wet Chicken

Wet Chicken

...but it's a computer, it should know :D

9. dustyjay

dustyjay

First Name:
    Jay
    If your WinXP is an upgrade there may be a way to install the upgrade as a clean install. If you have your WinME original installation disc. when it asks you where to find your existing OS tell it to look in the CD Drive. It should install as a clean install that way.

10. Cage72

Cage72 Thread Starter

ME is in the form of a Restore CD " bootdisk" that came with my old E-machines system.

I tried doing that earlier..using that very same disc..when it prompted me to do so during the beginning part of the XP Install. and no dice...wouldn't give.

When i go to disconnect my D: drive (slave drive) and hook up the new 250 gig as the Slave and keep C: as master. I go to reboot and it comes up "system halted"

11. dustyjay

dustyjay

First Name:
    Jay
    Did you get the max blast software that came witht he Maxtor hard drive. or did you get the OEM version? If you didnt get the sapftware with the HDD, you can down load MaxBlast from Maxtor for free. Set your original boot drive as master and the new hard drive as slave. Use the Maxblast disk to set up the new hard drive and it will also let you image the OS and rest of the original HDD to the new drive. no need to buy a new program, the OS is the same as before. And you dont have to worry about reinstalling your programs.

12. JSanguancheu

JSanguancheu

Your other option would be to use the old restore CD to install ME on the new HD first and then use the Win XP upgrade CD.

:cool:

13. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

Does the bios see the 250 gig hard drive correctly?

14. Cage72

Cage72 Thread Starter

Went and tried just that and it wouldn't work

15. Cage72

Cage72 Thread Starter

The bios does see the 250 gig..when I have just that drive by itself hooked up

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/217125

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice