1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

hard drive installation bracket problem

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by winkpc, Nov 19, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. winkpc

winkpc Thread Starter

I am trying to install an additional hard drive in my Compaq Presario 5000 and can figure out no way to attach it with the brackets that were included in the maxtor kit. The original hard drive (which I want to keep) is enclosed in a cage type metal bracket and there is not a second one for the new drive. Have contacted Compaq with no result. They keep giving me directions on how to configure which I'm sure will be helpful if I ever get it attached. They studiously ignore me when I say I think a part is missing, i.e. the bracket. Does anyone out there know the type of bracket or part # so I could find another one. I can see that it would be simple to put in if I had that particular bracket. Written on it is Mace Tech REV: 5 and p/n 66300006 but I can't find that anywhere and am thinking that Compaq must use another number. Is there some other way to attach using the brackets that came in the Maxtor kit? Or a way to jerry rig it without harm? The new hard drive is a Maxtor 60G, 7200 Rpm. I would really like to try this myself rather than have a tech install it but not even being able to connect to begin with is frustrating.

2. ibdewey

ibdewey

Compaq's are sometime tricky to work with, so I'll start by saying good luck. The brackets that came with the drive are for mounting in a 5-1/4" bay. This would be the same bay type that say the cd-rom is in. If you have and empty bay that a cd-rom would fit in then just put on the brackets and slide it in there. You should be able to pop the cover off the front and then put it back in when you finish. The other option is to just mount the drive in a 3-1/2" bay. This would be where the floppy drive is. If you have an extra opening for say a floppy drive then just mount it in there. Hope this helps!

3. winkpc

winkpc Thread Starter

Thanks for the info about the cd-rom drive. I thought of that possibility when I was looking inside but was not sure if that was okay. So it's nice to know I have that alternative. Have found the correct bracket number and will try that first, but will put it in this way if I can't. One question? There are no holes to screw the drive in in that cd-rom slot. Is that a problem or will sliding it in seat it well enough?

4. ibdewey

ibdewey

You should probably find someway of screwing the bracket in place. Unless that computer has some other type of fastening system. I've seen some gateways and dells that just have locks that you can flip on and off by hand.

5. Paul Nagel

Paul Nagel

Try a local computer shop as there are kits for mounting 3 1/2" drives in 5 1/4" bays. They are 2 metal brackets that screw to the sides of the smaller drive and have many screw hole to match up with different bays.

PS: you should physicaly mount the drive to keep it from sliding or moving. Most drives are open to the circuit board on the bottom and you dont want that touching metal if it moves. It also helps with grounding the unit.

6. winkpc

winkpc Thread Starter

Thanks to both of you for the advice. I think the Maxtor brackets are the kind you are talking about, Paul and will work if I use the cd-rom slot. I don't remember seeing any screw holes on the slot when I had this Pc open but will look again as there must be some way to attach so it won't move. Have finally tracked down the right compaq number and hope to be able to use their part which will make it all easier.:)

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/59013

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice