1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

hard drive is blank

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by teb2783, Jan 16, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. teb2783

teb2783 Thread Starter

So, somehow my hard drive is blank. All it has is a partition that says x:Boot. There are no other partitions. I cant install any version of windows, ubuntu or anything. What can I do to create a partition.

2. Lance1

Lance1

I take it that this drive is a slave drive? Right click Computer on the desktop and select Manage Click Disk Management Right click on the drive in question and select Format Select NTFS and name the drive whatever you want.

3. teb2783

teb2783 Thread Starter

Nope, this is the primary drive.

4. TerryNet

TerryNet Terry Moderator

GParted would be my choice (because I use it and haven't tried any of the other bootable partition managers).

5. teb2783

teb2783 Thread Starter

Ok, I am not a computer tech. Once I download this program, what do I do. I don't know command lines, code and all that jazz. Is there a walk through for it?

6. TerryNet

TerryNet Terry Moderator

You downloaded gparted-live-0.7.1-5.iso (119.6 MB) to a Windows machine? If so, double click on the .iso to create a bootable CD. If Windows doesn't know what to do with the file then download and install ISO Recorder and try again.

Then boot to the newly created CD. I have one machine that "fights" with GParted, but on the others the boot is pretty easy. Mostly just take the defaults, and you will end up with a GUI, and a display of your hard drive. You can create, delete, resize, format, etc., partitions w/o knowing any low level commands or code or whatever. :)

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/975029