1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Hard Drive Issue or maybe Power Supply

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by vistanoob18, Oct 8, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. vistanoob18

vistanoob18 Thread Starter

About a year ago, my one year old Compaq computer just died. I have no idea why and back then I didn't have the knowledge to try and figure it out. It literally went from being on in the morning before work and me checking my email, to coming home from work and I couldn't even turn the computer on.

To my knowledge, it was never turned on throughout the day and there wasn't a storm that day so I think a power surge can be ruled out. It was plugged into an outlet with a surge protector as well. Is there anyway to check and see if the Hard Drive is still good or anyway to "fix" it?

This was a $2K computer, yes ripped off by best buy, and now that I've started to fool around in the tech area, I can't accept it just dying. It had adequate virus and spyware protection as well. It was running on XP at the time, it was in the neighborhood of 180-200GB hard drive, I don't know what processor it has although I could look, and I'm not sure about the motherboard.

I'm thinking it's possible the power supply could have gone bad since I can't even attempt to turn the computer on. I don't believe it could be the hard drive but I don't want to rule it out although if it was the hard drive, it should at least turn on. Then comes a possibly fried motherboard. I think that could be the problem as well.

Please help.

2. jazz3000

jazz3000

Your system would not be dead if it were the HD. It would try booting and you generally run into boot screen with a warning or error message.
    If the system does nothing your probably correct in assuming it's the Power Supply. It happens more than you might think.
    So far as why it was so sudden is an answer for the great universe out there. Stuff just happens like this. Though the Operating Systems themselves seem logical, hardware has never fully equalized itself.
    I think I would start with a power supply and reset my bios. After that I would worry about the HD, etc.
    Maybe someone else has another thought on it but your gut feelings sound right. Jazz

3. vistanoob18

I'm new to all this so how would I go about resetting my bios?

Also, I have another power supply from an emachines that crashed due to viruses. Could I attempt to use this or should I just buy a new supply?

4. jazz3000

jazz3000

If the power supply is either equal to or greater in wattage and if the plugs agree with the motherboard, (they can vary) you should be able to test it. The CMOS I would wait on until I swapped the power supply. We're not going anywhere, so you get through the first swap and let's see what happens on boot and we'll move on from there. Take care as your dealing with electricity. Make sure nothing in plugged into a wall socket until you're ready for the test. Jazz

5. win2kpro

win2kpro

If the power supply from the eMachine is a Bestec unit, I personally wouldn't put it in any machine. These particular power supplys are notorious for failing, and when they fail, many times they take out the motherboard, and at times also take out other related components.

6. vistanoob18

Well both of the power supplies in my Compaq and the Emachine are Bestec units. So is there a good positibility then my motherboard is fried too? How would I know and would it be worth it to go out and purchase a new power supply?

I don't have a big budget right now so if I spend the $150 on a good power supply and it doesn't solve the problem, I don't know how deep I would be willing to go after that.

I thought though that the power supply worked from the emachine computer (although, it's been broke for about the same time and I also have no idea what's wrong with it. The fan turns on when I plug it in but I can't ever turn it off and nothing ever pops up on the monitor.) but I got nothing when I plugged it into the compaq.

Also, the compaq has a 160GB Samsung HD and a 512mb samsung RAM DDR.

7. Rich-M

Rich-M

There is no need to spend $150 on a psu for a Compaq, as a $50 decent psu would suffice fine, and this does sound like a psu issue, especially where it is a year old I would doubt the motherboard is fried from that but there is another issue. A power surge is more than possible even with the unit off an ethernet cable or a phone line could easily transport a killer blow to the pc, even with it off so i would have the hardware tested at a shop to tell for sure.

8. vistanoob18

would it cost anything to get the motherboard tested?

9. Rich-M

Rich-M

Sure it would if it's a business, but you can ask before going in.

10. vistanoob18

Where would you recommend that I get the MOBO tested at? I have a best buy by me (even though I hate them) and an staples but I don't know if there are any independent computer shops. Would best buy be able to do it?

11. Rich-M

Rich-M

Definitely you want a small independent computer shop and not a BB.

12. vistanoob18

alright, I'm going to look into this when I get home tonight.

13. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/757305

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice