Hard Drive Issue - Sounds

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

jordex

I have a Samsung HM500LI HDD. For the past month or so it has been clicking occasionally. Today, it started making a very grainy sound as if sound was running through it. I have run it through the Seagate SeaTools diagnostic test and it has passed the S.M.A.R.T, Short DST, Long DST, Short Generic and Long Generic tests. Funnily enough, it is now absolutely quiet. I can't quite understand why it seems to change. I checked the GPU / CPU Temperature (Core 0 and Core 1) and the GPU temp was running at 80 degrees. I brought thus down to 64 degrees and the sound (which is definetly from the HDD) seems to have stopped! This does happen during any particularly HDD Read/Write intensive times or any Graphically intensive times (for the GPU). Confusing! Does anyone know what causes these crazy sounds as they are a little disconcerting...

Even though all the tests came back OK, it may be too soon to relax if it was making sounds. Be sure you have a complete disk image made in case it quits suddenly.

Try a complete defrag, too, preferably with Windows offline so a complete one can be done. Heavy fragmentation can make the head seeking noises more pronounced.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online