1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Hard Drive Issue - Sounds

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by jordex, Apr 27, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jordex

jordex Thread Starter

I have a Samsung HM500LI HDD. For the past month or so it has been clicking occasionally. Today, it started making a very grainy sound as if sound was running through it. I have run it through the Seagate SeaTools diagnostic test and it has passed the S.M.A.R.T, Short DST, Long DST, Short Generic and Long Generic tests. Funnily enough, it is now absolutely quiet. I can't quite understand why it seems to change. I checked the GPU / CPU Temperature (Core 0 and Core 1) and the GPU temp was running at 80 degrees. I brought thus down to 64 degrees and the sound (which is definetly from the HDD) seems to have stopped! This does happen during any particularly HDD Read/Write intensive times or any Graphically intensive times (for the GPU). Confusing! Does anyone know what causes these crazy sounds as they are a little disconcerting...

2. Elvandil

Elvandil

Even though all the tests came back OK, it may be too soon to relax if it was making sounds. Be sure you have a complete disk image made in case it quits suddenly.

Try a complete defrag, too, preferably with Windows offline so a complete one can be done. Heavy fragmentation can make the head seeking noises more pronounced.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/919579

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice