1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Hard Drive Issue

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by PlasmaWaffle, Jan 5, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. PlasmaWaffle

PlasmaWaffle Guest Thread Starter

I just recently purchased a new hard drive (Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB SATA3 6B/S 7200 RPM 64 MB Cache)
    I installed Windows on one computer I have with a working CD drive, the current one I'm using has a broken CD drive.
    Everything runs perfectly smoothly on my computer where I installed Windows, but I tried putting it into my other computer and when I boot from it, the computer freezes after about 30 seconds.
    I am able to boot onto another hard drive and access the new hard drive that way, just can't boot from it, and I'm wondering why.
    Computer specs (on one where it won't boot) below

Processor: AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 4200+ (2 CPUs), ~2.2GHz
    Memory: 2GB
    Video Card: NVIDIA GeForce 8600GT

2. dustyjay

dustyjay

First Name:
    Jay
    You can not install Windows on one computer then move the hard drive to a different computer and expect it to boot up unless the second computer has an identical motherboard. This is because when windows boots it is looking for the hardware from the computer it was installed on, and not finding it. Suggestion, temporarily move the working CD Drive to the computer you want to install windows on.

3. PlasmaWaffle

Okay thanks that was very helpful, I'll try that now!

4. PlasmaWaffle

Okay so I tried installing Windows both 32 and 64 bit like 5 times by transferring that CD drive from the other computer as suggested, and I still get the same problem. It will go through with the entire installation no problem, but right at the set up part where it asks me to connect to a network my computer freezes. I formatted and partitioned it before every reinstall, tried it on an empty free space partition and pressing the new button (in advanced in setup) and installing it that way on both CD's.

Am I doing something wrong here?

5. Electron2418

Electron2418

If it freezes in network connection try to wait like a minute or so disconnect network cable sometimes it takes longer to get it working. I remember on one computer one windows installation freezes for me So I went for lunch leave it like 10 min and if gets over it and later continue with installation.

6. PlasmaWaffle

It freezes during the initial set-up period not always at network, just usually around that page. It's happened before and after, and I've left it for half an hour and nothing happened.

7. PlasmaWaffle

I exchanged the HDD and have the same problem (without trying to install windows on it on another computer first.) Is it possible that it's just not compatible with my computer?

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/972760

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice