1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Hard drive issue

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by sharonlee, Jan 21, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. sharonlee

sharonlee Thread Starter

A friend was having problems with her printer, so she call lexmark and the guy went in remote to her computer to try to resolve the problem. He went into task manager and unchecked and stop everything that was running on her computer. Now her computer won't boot up. I tried everything I can think of, nothing works.
    It won't boot normally or in safe mode, it just reboots.
    I tried the disc to go into recovery and it tells me there is no hard drive present.
    I went into the dell recovery patrition and ran all the tests but it says it can't read the hard drive.
    The hard drive does show up in the bios. (it's a sata if that matters)
    Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

2. domasmak

domasmak

Have you tried Last Known Good Configuration? If not, please try that and report back.

What model is the laptop?

3. sharonlee

sharonlee Thread Starter

yes, the hard drive isn't even recognized, it's not a laptop it's a dell desktop.

4. domasmak

domasmak

I would suggest trying to boot from the CD as if you are going to perform a clean install and see if it recognises the drive in there.

Alternatively, In the bios is there an option to turn on/off Sata Support? Try changing that and see if that corrects the problem.

Do you know the specific model of the desktop?

5. sharonlee

sharonlee Thread Starter

Tried to do a reformat... says no hard drive present, it's a dell so it's hidden a lot of options in bios. I tried to find the turn off sata option in bios already it's not there. Even the dell scans in the recovery partition are not finding the hard drive. Something must have been turned off to do with the hard drive when he unchecked everything in the task manager.

6. sharonlee

sharonlee Thread Starter

sorry model is dell dimension xps gen 4

7. sharonlee

sharonlee Thread Starter

Any other idea?

8. norton850

norton850

When you boot up from the CD, shouldn't make any difference what was done to Windows so I wonder if that is a coincidence.. Even though BIOS sees the drive double check the MB SATA connection.

9. sharonlee

sharonlee Thread Starter

Yes I tried that too. I tried one of the other connectors in it.

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/976043

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice