Hard-drive issues- age incompatibility?

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

PCG342

Banned
Ok. So, I have an old computer. A crappy one, at that. It's a Gateway something-or-other with WinMe, a 700 MHz Celeron, and [thanks to my brother] a cracked motherboard. Now, I had gotten a new hard drive for it a year or two ago - a 40 GB Seagate Barracuda 7200.7 with model #ST340014A.
Naturally, I wasn't gonna keep this piece of crap. But I'm a cheap SOB. So, I bought a used office PC- a Dell Optiplex. 933 MHz PIII [and no cracked motherboard! WOOHOO!] It has Win2K and a lovely Maxtor hard drive, about 18 gigabytes, maybe 19... anyway...Model number is ST340014A.
I want to keep the Maxtor as the master and use my Seagate as a slave mainly because I'm lazy. Now, when I try connecting both of them, in either slave/master combo, the MOBO won't detect either drive. But, both of them - separately - as masters, will work.
-------
Also, I have an ATI All-in-Wonder Radeon card, and apparently there's some sorta incompatibility with that and Win2K. Will the latest Catalyst drivers sort that out, or what?

Thanks for your time and effort.

Why not set both disks in "cable select". The one at the end plug is automatically the master and you never have to touch the jumpers again.

JohnWill

Retired Moderator
If you use CS, make sure it's an 80 conductor IDE cable, since the 40 conductor cables I have don't properly select drives with CS.

PCG342

Banned
Ok... forgive me for sounding like an idiot, but.... what's CS?
Oh. And... I tried putting both in "select."
And as far as the graphics card issue.... no idea?

JohnWill

Retired Moderator
CS = Cable Select

Graphics card? The 80 conductor cable I mention is for the IDE drives. Given the age of the system you have, you may still have a 40 conductor cable. You can simply count the individual conductors across the cable, it'll be obvious which one you have, even if you miscount a couple. :)

PCG342

Banned
Oh, ok. Thanks... Cable Select doesn't work. Tried. I'm too lazy to count the connectors. So.... this sucks...
And with the graphics card, uh, it won't let Windows load when the card is installed.
It's something about TV tuners [All-In-Wonder card] and Win2k.

PCG342

Banned
Ok, update: I can get the computer BOOTED with the graphics card installed. But that's as far as it'll go. I get a distorted bright [oh, yes, bright] purple screen.
No help? Either problem?

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online