1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Hard drive issues-AHCI port0 Device Error

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by jazzyvirgo, Sep 20, 2019.

Advertisement
  1. jazzyvirgo

jazzyvirgo Thread Starter

I have an HP Touchsmart 310 All-in-One and it will not boot up. I was running windows 7 on it. Every time I boot the computer, I get the error message “AHCI Port 0 device error” press F2 to continue. It doesn’t ever boot to windows when I press F2, just eventually back to restarting with the same error message. I was unsure if it is my hard drive that went bad, so I attempted to replace it to see. When I did this, I no longer got the AHCI error message, but got another. PXE-MOF: Exiting PXE ROM. Reboot and Select Proper Boot Device or insert boot media in selected boot drive and press any key. The system boots in the correct order—hard drive first. So I’m unsure as to what could be wrong. Please, please help! I just want to get to my windows screen again.

Attached Files:

2. bassfisher6522

bassfisher6522

With the new drive installed, you need to install windows on it. It's asking for the install media (what ever you have the ISO of windows on DVD/USB drive) and then to change the boot order so it boots from the install media.

As far as the first message goes on your original drive....looks like your HDD was switched from SATA mode to AHCI which explains your error message. Go back into the BIOS and change the the drive mode to SATA and reboot and see if that works

3. Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

The message on the hard drive you have replaced the original with is because it is not seen as a bootable device, so it is attempting to boot from a network device - that is the PXF

Try putting back the original drive and pressing F8 key on boot see if you can get to advanced options

4. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

When you replaced the drive, did you install the operating system?

5. jazzyvirgo

It’s still on SATA mode..the only other option was IDE. I tried changing it to that and rebooting, but nothing happened.

6. jazzyvirgo

What Should I look for in advanced options? I’m in it and everything says enabled.

Attached Files:

7. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    The HP TouchSmart 310 series all-in-ones appear to originally come with Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit.

What's the exact model number(M/N) and product number(P/N) and serial number(S/N) on yours?

---------------------------------------------------------------

8. jazzyvirgo

Got it. I downloaded the windows 7 but it’s 32-bit. I just tried to reinstall windows on the old hard drive—but no drivers were found. That’s because I chose the 32 bit files instead of 64? Is there any way that I can download just the drivers on a usb so I won’t lose this screen?

9. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    You haven't answered the question in post #7.

It will be easier to help you once your all-in-one is correctly identified and its support site is located.

--------------------------------------------------------------

10. jazzyvirgo

The exact model number is 310-1020
    and product number is BT417AAR#ABA

11. jazzyvirgo

I answered it below. Our posts must have crossed.

12. jazzyvirgo

I didn’t initially. It looks like I’m getting some luck with the original drive. I’m continuing to work with that one until I’ve exhausted all options, then I’ll go to the replacement drive. Thank you for the tip

13. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    HERE is the support site for the HP TouchSmart 310-1020 Desktop PC.

According to its specifications section, it originally came with Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit.

According to its specifications and drivers sections, it has these primary devices:
    AMD M880G chipset
    AMD Radeon HD 4270 graphics
    Realtek ALC269 high definition audio
    Realtek RTL8111E gigabit ethernet
    Ralink RT3090 802.11b/g/n wireless

Note:
    If you need the factory restore/system recovery disc kit for your all-in-one, the webpage link for it is in my second sentence.
    Enter the serial number for your all-in-one, then follow the instructions.

--------------------------------------------------------------

Last edited: Sep 20, 2019
  14. jazzyvirgo

What do I do with this information? Are these drivers I need to download to get it to work? I asked a question about the drivers as that’s the step that I’m on currently...not sure if i need to download the 64 bit and try again? Thanks.

15. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

When you install windows, it is done in the following order;
    Install chipset driver first. If the chipset driver is not installed first, subsequent drivers may not config correctly.
    Once done with the chipset, install the sound, nic/lan, touchpad, video, etc.

Next read Frank's guide on how to install win7. It is at the top of the win7 forum. There are problems when trying to install win7 so be sure to follow the guide.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1233236

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice