1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Hard drive issues (primary slave)

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by C'plus, Oct 13, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. C'plus

C'plus Thread Starter

Hi,

I have just added a hard drive to my pc, second hd, not a partition. The computer recognizes it, device manager recognizes it, it's working properly. I know there isn't anything wrong with it because i just reformatted it. After i installed it the drivers were automatically loaded (OS XP home sp1). The problem is that when i open My computer, it only shows my primary master (C:\ 40 gig.....) i cant seem to get it to show my slave. I've tried to refresh the screen open it in safe mode, opened it as admin...nothing i've done seems to work.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

2. Emtronics

Emtronics

Have you made sure the jumpers on both drives are set correctly? Your master drive should be set to: Master w/slave, and the slave drive should be set to slave.

3. C'plus

C'plus Thread Starter

I altered the jumpers, but to no avail. Do you have any other possible solutions?

Thankyou again.

4. Emtronics

Emtronics

I am sure you got the jumpers correct and I assume you are aware that master or cable select is different from master w/slave settings.

Have you entered the BIOS (Setup) and made sure the Auto detect is enabled for your drive? In other words, Does the BIOS see your slave?

5. C'plus

C'plus Thread Starter

When i start my pc, my computer detects it it shows primary master...primary slave....so i assume thats what you mean. The thing is that the HDD's i have were reversed this was my slave and my new slave was my master, i just formatted them both and started anew because this one is larger, the other (slave) i want to formatt in Fat32 for a win 98se setup for a friend...nothing has changed since i formatted them both. the only difference is i formatted my slave using a program called "drive scrubber" so i could get rid of all of my personal info which is what this program is inteded to do. Moreover i have done this in the past with no problem.

6. C'plus

C'plus Thread Starter

i have the jumper config's right infromt of me, it doesn't show a master w/ slave, but i have the jumpers in the same fashion as i did when the hdd's were reversed.

Thanx again

7. Emtronics

Emtronics

well if the jumpers are correct, the post boot sees the drives, and the ribbons (IDE) are plugged in correctly, then I would look at your 3rd party software. ("drive scrubber" )

8. C'plus

C'plus Thread Starter

well you're probably right, it could very well be the 3rd party software. thanx a million for your time and help, i appreciate it alot!

9. Emtronics

Emtronics

You're welcome. I hope you find your trouble and post back here.

10. C'plus

C'plus Thread Starter

will do!

11. C'plus

C'plus Thread Starter

found the solution. This may very well be helpful to others. The third party software i used to formatt my HDD wiped it clean, so clean infact that the drive was w/o a filesystem and was unallocated. I found detailed instructions on the maxtor wesite on how to resolve this problem. Basically i right clicked "my Computer" selected Manage, from that menu i selected Disk management, i then selected the unallocated drive and the "initialize disk wizard" recognized my disk and prepared it for formatting, i then right clicked the unallocated section and formatted the drive and all is good.

Thanx again for all the help!

Detailed instructions: http://maxtor.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/...W55fiZwX2NhdF9sdmwyPX5hbnl_JnBfcGFnZT0x&p_li=

12. Emtronics

Emtronics

Solved! Thanks for posting back. It will be helpful to others.

13. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/171804

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice