1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Hard drive issues

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Jim624, Sep 29, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Jim624

Jim624 Thread Starter

My wife's Inspiron 17 5767 started making HDnoises.....tic tic tic......until it got louder and louder then failed completely The laptop was still under warranty so I sent it back to Dell....they replaced the harddrive and sent it back. It's only been two weeks and the hard drive is making the same noise again....tic tic tic. Well before it went all the way out I bought another hard drive and loned the laptop HD......I then put t the laptopn and guess what.....tic tic tic. So I got the hard drive that Dell"replaced" stuck it in a dock and it didn't make any tic tic tic noises....ran quiet as it should. Now, my question for you geniuses.....what other hardware would casue the harddrive to go out ?? I want to figure it out before I contact Dell again. Is it the MB ???

2. managed

managed Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Allan
    When you say it 'failed completely' what exactly happened ?

3. Jim624

Jim624 Thread Starter

The first hard drive progressively started ticking,....and got louder and louder..... I ran the dianostics on itand it all came back fine.......so my wife used it until the screen popped up on boot up that said NO HARD DRIVE FOUND....... No mattter what I did , it would always say NO HARDRIVE FOUND. Ran thru the TSing with dell and they had me send it back in. They replaced the hard drive and after about a week it started making faint ticing noises. So I cloned the hard drive o a new drive I bought and it started right off ticking.....faintly. So I took the one I had just removed and stuck it in a dock and it made no ticking sounds what-so-ever......

4. managed

First Name:
    Allan
    I think the first hard drive did fail but it seems the next one did not so the ticking could be something else like a fan touching something inside.

I would tell Dell it still ticks with the replacement drive and send it in again. Might be best not to mention you tested the drive in a caddy which could void you warranty !

5. Shahmir

Shahmir

I am having this issue.. Then when I pressed F5.. I got 4 beeps

Attached Files:

6. managed

First Name:
    Allan
    Shahmir, please start your own thread, it gets too confusing when 2 people post in the same one.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1217199

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice