1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Hard drive issues .....

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by lolutz, Sep 23, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lolutz

lolutz Thread Starter

I guess I'm becoming the hard drive freak dude....

Ok so I left Western digital and their lack of support and took up on two 160gb each Maxtor hard drives which came with hand book instructions and cd (bootable and with a program fordiferent OS) and installed them like 2-3 weeks ago, Both worked fine and I got my data up and runing. until sunday. I got on one of the drives at about 120gb and i think sunday before a normal restart i passed over 128GiB (137GB) since i remember I had like 25 gb free out of the 152gb that the drives have. On restart the drive name change and like with the western the computer was running slower, the drive in cause was shown and is shown as RAw and not FAT32.

First thging DOES ANYONEEEE have any ideea how you can recover your data in such cases or is it just lost???.....

I think the problem is with the File system and the old 28 LBA mode for writing stuff to the drive. My pc is not new (it's a HP 466 Celeron from '99) but i'm pretty sure it was not a old system problem but rather that issue..

SO IF YOU BUY BIG HARD DRIVE make sure guys to check the companies webpage (like Maxtor and Western) every day since they keep changing their stuff as problems appear with the 137gb barrier.

So today I went and checked those webpages too. SURPRISE maxtor, has changed in the past two weeks their info on drives instalation for over 137 gb.

In the hand book they said that it is enough to USE windows XP + sp.1 with a ATA 100/ 133 controller and their Max Blast 3. i did it that way and it worked for those 2-3 weeks. Now they have changed that first Option of install. You still have to use all that BUT (unlike western) they also have a program for changing the registry from 28lba to 48lba of which i did not know ( I DID check the webpage and it was like the booklet without the 48LBA prog)...

I have also just noticed that Western, after having problems with their big caviars havce also updated their site with a new disk prog for the limit.

My question is then CAN I recover that data on the drive, or do I have to just reformat the drives. One of them still works fine as only 32gb have been put on. I have used the maxtor 48lba and updated and it says it's updated. Should I reformat the second drive (the one working) two, or will it have the same problem when it gets to 137gb.

Are they safe now, anyone knows...cause i'mm almost decided to go back to best buy (they probably hate me by now) and swich them for just old 120gb and get like 4 of them ........

HELP........and wach out for the barrier..

P.S. Western digital also just released a new update bios for their promise cards......will that help???//

2. lolutz

lolutz Thread Starter

just too add. I'm not sure if it was putting more then 137gb on the drive or what. Right before restart it also accted funny for a while. actually for like a couple restart before it went on RAW format. I was not able to install any programs , as it stopped at instalation and froze the taskbar every time i tried to instal like Norton Antivirus or the Widnows update. (first the windows update had that problem and then i tried to put norton to see if there was a bug).. But now without any fixing since the drive is in raw instaling works and i put norton antivirus and utilities op just to see NO VIRUSES.

so.......any ideeas

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/166851

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice