1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Hard Drive Issues

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by madcuban69, Sep 8, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. madcuban69

madcuban69 Thread Starter

Hope someone can help with this issue.

The HDD in my Pavilion 7955 XP got hung up in the SP1/soft Restore issue.
    (can explain further if needed)

I do not want to loose the photos on this drive so I took the HDD from a spare
    computer and installed it as the master. Using the Restore discs I obtained from HP, I began loading. All was fine until after disc 7 when it said "could not create user partition." I followed the steps given for this exact issue on HP's website with no luck. I cannot get to dos to run fdisk.

My next thought was to take the original XP HDD and install it as a slave on another PC running W98se and pull the files that way. I can see the HDD in device manager but there is no drive letter and I cannot access it.

Is there a step I am missing? I have tried setting the jumpers to both slave and cable select positions.
    thanks.

2. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
  3. madcuban69

Checked out the link. Says it is a read only access.

Does anyone have suggestions or insite to installing a new hard drive in the 7955?

4. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Read only should allow to copy the files to the other working drive.

Or you must find a computer with Windows 2000 or XP that has native NTFS file system support.

How big is the new drive you installing? Make sure it is jumpered correctly and correctly identified in the BIOS. Also make sure it is blank or have the Restore completely repartition/reformat the drive.

5. madcuban69

HP told me that it would work being 10g. It is jumpered as master. I used KILLDISK to wipe it clean before proceeding. I then loaded all seven discs and it could not create the user partition. I wiped the disc clean again and tried to pull up the "exit to dos" as prescribed by HP so that I could run fdisk. There was not a link to dos in the advanced options. How can I format the disc?

6. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    10Gb might be a little small. If you have at least 7 CD's then thats a lot of data, and most HP's have a second partition for Diagnostics and Recovery. I would not be surprised if it was running out of space or if it requires a bigger drive for the Restore to work properly.

7. madcuban69

Thanks,
    I'll get a larger drive and try again.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/271650

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice