1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Hard Drive Issues

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Irksome, Apr 2, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Irksome

Irksome Thread Starter

I have two hard drives. One 80GB SATA, and one 160GB IDE. The SATA contains my operating system (XP), and the IDE is mainly an extension, as the SATA is running low on space. The IDE is on its own cable and is set to master. Now, whenever I boot up with both drives installed, it will always boot into the IDE drive, when I want it to boot from the SATA.

The IDE does have XP installed as well, as it came from one of my old machines. Do I need to uninstall XP from the IDE for it to stop booting into it?

Also, another issue. Whenever I take the side door off my PC when it is running, I can hear three or four audible clicks from the SATA drive, and it shuts down with a BSOD. This is without even touching it, only removing the door. I've noticed it also happens whenever I touch the PSU cables. I'm thinking it's a paranoid PSU, but I could be wrong.

Any help on these issues would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks. :)

2. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    In your BIOS you just need to change the boot order the primary hard drive from the IDE drive to the SATA drive to stop the computer from booting from the wrong drive.

As for the other problem, try changing the power cable that goes to the SATA drive, and maybe even the SATA data cable, it could be just a poor connection.

3. Irksome

Irksome Thread Starter

Thanks for the quick reply Triple6, that solved solved my first issue! :)

The second, I will try that when it happens next. Thanks for the help. :D

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/699570

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice