1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Hard Drive jumpers?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Ric101, Nov 1, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Ric101

Ric101 Thread Starter

hi

I recently got a new hard drive, and I noticed that the jumper has a block attached to it, from what I know is that block limits the data rate to 1.5gbs,. All I want to know is, if I remove it will it give me 3gbs data rate or not, and whether or not it will do my computer any harm.

2. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Do you know if your motherboard supports SATA 3GB/s? What motherboard do you have? On some older motherboards that only support SATA 1.5Gb/s the drive may not be detected and thats about the worst that can happen.

But be aware those jumpers can do more then just specify the data rate. You should check the documentation of the drive.

3. Ric101

Ric101 Thread Starter

i know that my motherboard supports 3gb/s, I just need some assurence, what other things does those jumpers do, my hard drive didn't even come with any documents (or even a box), it came in a bag with bubble wrap. bought it from ebuyer. It also a seagate hard drive by the way

4. win2kpro

win2kpro

The jumper does nothing but limit the data rate.

5. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    There would be documentation you can find on the manufacturer's website.

A jumper can also be used to delay the spin up, set spread spectrum settings, and a few other things on certain SATA drives. It depends on what pins the jumper is on.

6. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

I agree you need to read the documentation on the drive maker's site. As an example the WD raptors have about 3 jumper settings on the back of the drive for various things.

7. win2kpro

win2kpro

8. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Right, I did not see the seagate drive. It is what I get for reading too quickly.

9. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Yup, I didn't see that in his last post either. But if the jumper is placed onto the other two pins I'm not sure what it would do if anything, odd there'd be more pins if they didn't serve some purpose...

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/646384

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice