1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Hard Drive Ka-Put

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by cbear, Jul 29, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. cbear

cbear Thread Starter

I droped my laptop and had to install a new 60 gig Hitachi HD. Is there a way to recover the info from the old drive, perhaps buy a tool to recover and transfer the data? Also it now makes a beeping sound every 15 to 30 minutes. Sometimes I won't hear it for over an hour.

Thanks.
    :(

2. win2kpro

win2kpro

Here is an adapter you can use to convert the 2 1/2" laptop HDD to a 3 1/2" desktop HDD.

http://www.mycableshop.com/sku/IDE4044.htm

If the laptop drive is not severly damaged you should be able to transfer your data from the laptop drive to a desktop PC drive. All the instructions are at the site.

3. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

Is the hard drive "Ka-Put"?
    Is that why you needed to install a new one?
    And the laptop itself is just fine?

4. photolady

photolady

Sounds like you damaged more than the harddrive if you're getting beeping sounds. Something got jarred lose or is broken inside.

5. cbear

cbear Thread Starter

I should have said, before I changed my hard drive, the damaged one did bring me to the log on/welcome screen twice, intermittently. But that was as far as I could get.

Thanks.
    :confused:

6. dcbell

dcbell

As a last ditch effort (if it gets to that) you can put the hard drive in the freezer inside a bag, then immediately retrieve the contents with a working computer. Tapping the side of the hard drive also occasionally works.

7. cbear

cbear Thread Starter

I'm Back. My laptop has recovered from a "fatal Error", with the new hard drive, after I installed some drivers gateway said it needed. So after my system froze, unable to reboot thru start, shutdown, I had to hold the power button to shut it off four times before it recovered. I immediately deleted the new drivers and did a system restore point. I am going to try the freezer method for the old HD.

Thanks for all your responses.
    :eek:

8. cbear

cbear Thread Starter

No luck with the old hard drive. However another issue, the underside of my laptop, Gateway M520 now gets VERY WARM. The fan seems to be working but when I play a game the computer shuts down after about 20 minutes into it.:confused: It seems to be shuting down after it overheats but whats causing it? The beep sound is still present.

9. dustyjay

dustyjay

First Name:
    Jay
    The heatsink on the processor may have been knocked loose when you dropped it. This is not good. If you are not up to taking the laptop apart and checking/repairing it. A gateway authorized service center would be your next stop.

10. cbear

cbear Thread Starter

If I had a good service manual for the M520 I'd be willing to disect the laptop, Thanks.:cool:

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/487461

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice