1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Hard drive keeps running even without program running.

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by mslugx, Aug 22, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. mslugx

mslugx Thread Starter

I installed Vista on my newly built computer, and it's been a month, my hard drive still runs everytime i turn on my computer until i turn it off non stop even thought there is no programming running. Can anybody tell me why it is doing such thing? i am afraid that i might have a broken hard drive. can anybody give me some advise on it? Thank you very much.

2. Sponsor

3. alwrmc

alwrmc

It's probably indexing and/or defragging. Both can be turned off if you desire.

4. mslugx

mslugx Thread Starter

i think i turned off the indexing, but can u tell me how to turn off the defragment please? thank you very much.

5. kama64

kama64

Click the Start button

Type Defrag in the search field, then Disk Defragmenter will show up click on that, the continue if you have UAC enabled

Then uncheck the option to run on schedule

6. DaveA

DaveA Trusted Advisor

It could also be your AV program doing a background scan or some other Protection program scanning the drive.

7. kama64

kama64

Ya, and System Restore

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/613494