1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Hard Drive Letter Assignment

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Grenge, Jul 2, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Grenge

Grenge Thread Starter

I have just installed WinXP on a computer and the Letter assigned to the hard drive is E: not C:
    I had two HDDs connected when it was installing. The primary master, which was the drive that WinXP was being installed on, and the primary slave, which had WinXP on it but had died and I was going to try to retrieve the data off it. The jumpers were set correctly and the bios was set correctly as well.
    I also tried removing the second HDD and rebooting but the drive assignment is still;
    A: Floppy
    D: CD ROM
    E: Master HDD

I don't seem to be able to find how to change the drive letters so the main HDD can be C:, is it elsewhere in XP because I remember in Win98 it is in the device manager.

2. Sponsor

3. pyritechips

pyritechips Gone but Never Forgotten

First Name:
    Jim
  4. mobo

mobo

Go to start>control panel>administrative tools>computer management >then finally disk management .There you right click on what you want to change and select change letter

5. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

You cannot change a system drive letter. All other drive letters can be changed in disk management. If you really want to have xp installed on C, disconnect the old hd boot with the xp cd, delete all partitions on the new disk and create / format and install. There is nothing that says you must have your system drive as C. It is acceptable to have another letter, just not as neat.
    Even if you could change a system drive letter, all software that has been installed will look for system dll files in E and you have changed it to C.

6. Grenge

Grenge Thread Starter

I've only just installed Win XP so I will re install it.
    I would leave it but I know the person who uses it will have a hard time if it isn't C:.

7. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

He is asking about a system drive. Xp will not allow a system drive letter to be changed for the reason in my previous post.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/144069